TVs with an ACTUAL 120hz refresh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my current TV is going out on me, so i need a new one.

This one claimed to be 240hz when i bought it, but imagine my dissapoint when i hooked it to my computer and found out it was a marketing gimmick and it's actually only 60hz...

Anyway, anyone know of a TV that actually supports 120hz refresh rates? or are they all just 60hz and lying?

i've been googling trying to figure it out. no luck, so i figured you all "Drink, and Know Things" why not ask here! :D :mug:

Take it back and get a refund.

i bought this one that's dying back in 2013...but funny you should say that i ordered one off amazon that claimed to have 120hz....i'll never know if it actually did, because it got shipped to someone in arkansa instead of me....so i already got a refund for it!

i bet someone in Henderson, AR got home from work wondering why they had a new tv in front of their garage! (or it's some sorta scam thing?

From Nvidia
Specifications

Nope

Note 3 - 3840x2160 at 30Hz or 4096x2160 at 24Hz supported over HDMI. 4096x2160 (including 3840x2160) at 60Hz supported over Displayport. Support for 4k tiled MST displays requires 326.19 driver or later.

damn, i can't afford a new video card.....but i'm only running 1080p?

edit which is only 1920x1080

damn, i can't afford a new video card.....but i'm only running 1080p?

edit which is only 1920x1080

Damn son most modern video cards will slay 1080p without blinking it's the 1440p you have to worry about. Find a big ass gaming monitor that does 1440p at 144hz and you will be golden.

Go look for some open box action on Newegg or Microcenter.

I got a 27" Acer that runs at a solid 144hz with my Radeon VII it's amazing how easy the higher refresh rate is on your eyes.

Edit: One last thing go look for a Radeon VII it's a phenomenal video card.

Go work the corner and get a new video card it's worth it!

Last edited:
amazing how easy the higher refresh rate is on your eyes.

yeah i remember the old days and 100hz on my CRT, loved it! :mug:

Rtx3090. You need it.

🤔 🖕

edit: i just HAD to drop $1200 on rubber roof stuff...and another 1k to get it applied...i think i felt my belt shrink as the tears flowed....

I snagged a Nvidia 3060 TI from Best Buy on its release date. Don’t know how that happened but I’m sure happy it did. I use a 27” LG ultra gear 27” monitor @ 144 frames. Now that I have a 120 Hz phone, I can see the flicker on a 60 hz phone.
I know the Samsung 8 Series 75” used to be a native 120 Hz screen but they aren’t anymore. I regret buying a 7 series over the 8 when I bought mine.

i don't play video games, which is why i'm still using a gtx 660...it'd be a gtx 480 actually, but it died and i RMA'd it, this is what they sent me to replace it...EVGA 'used' to have a lifetime warranty....

i just want the 120hz so that staring at HBT is more like drinkers not tweakers....(at least that's the way my eyeballs will feel)

I just checked bestbuy.com looks like the Q70 series starts the 120Hz screens now but those are $$$

i don't play video games, which is why i'm still using a gtx 660...it'd be a gtx 480 actually, but it died and i RMA'd it, this is what they sent me to replace it...EVGA 'used' to have a lifetime warranty....

i just want the 120hz so that staring at HBT is more like drinkers not tweakers....(at least that's the way my eyeballs will feel)

That frame rate might be good for games and sports. BUT, if you watch a movie that's actually filmed at a high (greater than 24 hz) frame rate, it's off-putting. I've got a Will Smith movie Gemini Man that was released in 60 hz frame rate and it looks like a video game. Weird and a bit surreal to watch. Of course, most movie content is released at 24 hz, so even with a 120 hz tv you won't see a diff.

That frame rate might be good for games and sports. BUT, if you watch a movie that's actually filmed at a high (greater than 24 hz) frame rate, it's off-putting. I've got a Will Smith movie Gemini Man that was released in 60 hz frame rate and it looks like a video game. Weird and a bit surreal to watch. Of course, most movie content is released at 24 hz, so even with a 120 hz tv you won't see a diff.

i get that effect from time to time at any refresh rate...i just figure for a brief moment hollywood 'hype' wasn't in my head?

edit: i have a 160" projection screen for movies....i just would prefer staring at text at 120hz....

Stay away from the 400 series they run too hot. Look fo a 970 or 960 or a 1060ti as far as Nvidia goes. 120hz should be pretty tits still.

Hope you find something reasonable and damn I feel for you on your roof.

Last edited:
Hope you find something reasonable and damn I feel for you on your roof.

in a small/"still large though" i'm glad roll on rubber roofing is a thing! a new roof would cost 15k or so....

Before i drop the money on a new video card, there's still the matter of burrying my dying current one.....

(in what form, cash or a check? i'd crawl up there to get it.... ;)
)
painful....

Cash. In truth, they haven't sent the final bill yet, prolly will be more than that because I had them replace all fascia and completely rebuild the chimney. Anyway, if my bill was what you stated above, I would not complain haha.

I would not complain haha.

i was just comparing it to the price of spiffy video cards these days....i'll stick with my 660, or if i have to, bare minimum to support 120hz.

but i need the TV first! because this is slowly dying, i see the end coming....before it dies i need to use it to replace it! :mug:

i was just comparing it to the price of spiffy video cards these days....i'll stick with my 660, or if i have to, bare minimum to support 120hz.

but i need the TV first! because this is slowly dying, i see the end coming....before it dies i need to use it to replace it! :mug:

Coincidentally, I've got a GTX660 in a case here in an old PC. Just pulled it out of the closet this weekend, plan to toss most of it in the recycle bin. I built a new PC a year ago and held onto this one just in case there were probs with the new one. No probs.

If anyone wants parts, lemme know. I'll scrape the drives and hold onto those for external backup, but the vid card, MB, LIan Li case, etc is getting scrapped.

1648078957416.png

BTW, one of the main reasons I updated this PC was because of that card. I wanted to do video editing of 4k 60 hz content (h264 and h265). That old card did not have the hardware support to do it. Couldn't even play it smoothly in VLC.

Coincidentally, I've got a GTX660 in a case here in an old PC. Just pulled it out of the closet this weekend, plan to toss most of it in the recycle bin. I built a new PC a year ago and held onto this one just in case there were probs with the new one. No probs.

If anyone wants parts, lemme know. I'll scrape the drives and hold onto those for external backup, but the vid card, MB, LIan Li case, etc is getting scrapped.

View attachment 763846

does it have a better CPU then a i7-4770k?

You're asking for a TV in the title, but you've been talking about getting a computer monitor.
Those are 2 different things, IMO.

If you're watching TV on your computer monitor, at 2-3' distance, a 32 or 40" monitor may well be the largest you want.
4K seems to be more future proof. But your graphics card will need to push the needed pixels. 60Hz should suffice for watching movies, even true BluRay.

If you do action gaming, they move much faster, so 120Hz at minimum.

In December we got 2 32" 4K monitors, MSI Creator PS321URV for ~$500 each. They are wonderful for what we use them for, Digital Arts and so, very color-true, which was the main reason for that model. But the older 9800 series graphic cards show their limits, although at full screen, 3840 x 2160 pixels at 60Hz is the max.

You're asking for a TV in the title, but you've been talking about getting a computer monitor.
Those are 2 different things, IMO.

If you're watching TV on your computer monitor, at 2-3' distance, a 32 or 40" monitor may well be the largest you want.
4K seems to be more future proof. But your graphics card will need to push the needed pixels. 60Hz should suffice for watching movies, even true BluRay.

If you do action gaming, they move much faster, so 120Hz at minimum.

In December we got 2 32" 4K monitors, MSI Creator PS321URV for ~$500 each. They are wonderful for what we use them for, Digital Arts and so, very color-true, which was the main reason for that model. But the older 9800 series graphic cards show their limits, although at full screen, 3840 x 2160 pixels at 60Hz is the max.

i use my tv as a computer monitor. 1080p is fine for my eyesight, i'm 4 feet away from it, so yeah 40" is what i want....but it's annoying watching it flash, i'd love a more stable picture...120hz would easy the strain on my brain....

But they're all curved!
The typical (wide and skinny) aspect ratio of those curved monitors is also not very useful for TV watching. You'd only be using the center 1/2 to 2/3 of the screen unless you prefer Stretch TV. ;)

The AR of 1920 : 1080 = 1.8 <== that's what you'd be looking for.
2560 x 1440 or 3840 x 2160 (4K) have the same 1.8 AR.

think i found 'the one'....
Looks pretty good, yes!
But it's "only" 1920 x 1080 (=2k). That's fine for regular TV (1080p) as well as for most regular computer work, but you won't get more desktop space, your icons, window headers and browser banners, etc., are gonna be fairly big.

I think this was discussed before, can your graphics card (display adapter) handle that kind of output, and high refresh rate?
My (very old) GeForce 9800GT can deliver 1920 x 1080 and 2560 x 1440, but the highest refresh rate is only 60 Hz (at any resolution).

So my 32" MSI runs at 60Hz and is sharp and rock stable, no flickering, whatsoever, even under fluorescent tubes.
I just want a graphics card that outputs 4096 x 2160 = 4k (alas at 60Hz) so my desktop is bigger. Icons, especially those on application "ribbons" (e.g., M$) will be small though. Some apps allow you to scale the toolbar sizes (Adobe).

Looks pretty good, yes!
But it's "only" 1920 x 1080 (=2k). That's fine for regular TV (1080p) as well as for most regular computer work, but you won't get more desktop space, your icons, window headers and browser banners, etc., are gonna be fairly big.

I think this was discussed before, can your graphics card (display adapter) handle that kind of output, and high refresh rate?
My (very old) GeForce 9800GT can deliver 1920 x 1080 and 2560 x 1440, but the highest refresh rate is only 60 Hz (at any resolution).

So my 32" MSI runs at 60Hz and is sharp and rock stable, no flickering, whatsoever, even under fluorescent tubes.
I just want a graphics card that outputs 4096 x 2160 = 4k (alas at 60Hz) so my desktop is bigger. Icons, especially those on application "ribbons" (e.g., M$) will be small though. Some apps allow you to scale the toolbar sizes (Adobe).

man, 1080p is fine enough rez for my 160" screen....i just want my reading screen to apear as close to reading off paper as possible...and although i wish it was possible, i can't, and don't think, they're going to invent a 0hz monitor anytime soon....so gotta go faster! as far as resolution goes happy laying right next to a ~80" 1024x768 screen....

To finish this thread off with the conclusion.....

I ordered the 32" one i linked, it showed up, and my GTX 660 does drive it at 120hz...nice crisp screen, it would have been better if i could have found a 40". but 32" should be a passable size...no built in speakers though.

i think the monitor actually would go up to 165hz, but the best my video card will do is 120hz. maybe i'd have to use the display port for 165hz?

Latest posts

Back