Tuff shed - brew shed w/ propane burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droder1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Appreciate a sanity check here. There are some other threads on similar subjects, and some threads on more extreme subjects (ie. propane burners in basements). Through it all, an awful lot of conflicting information. My scenario: I have a Tuff Shed, which I am going to use as my brew shed. It is 10 x 16 (160 sq ft), and will have three 2x2 foot windows, as well as two gable vents (north and south ends of the shed, near the roof), as well as a 4x6 foot door. I plan to not go electric and continue using my three propane banjo burners (2x Bayou SP10 and Bayou classic single burner). I use one burner for brew kettle, one for HLT and one for mash. So two are on for maybe 20 minutes, and then the boil one runs for 90 mins or so.

I will be putting the burners on a 2 foot deep shelf about 18 inches off the ground, and will use ceramic tile as heat buffers. My brew kettle will be just below one of the 2x2 foot windows. I will fit a window fan which can do about 300 CFM in this window. I also have a Lasko 300CFM air blower, which I will be setting on the ground in below the main burners. I will also have a window A/C unit which should pull in about another 150 CFM. I plan to keep the other 2x2 window open, as well as the 4x6 foot door. I believe, this should adequately turn the air over in the shed, to eliminate the lack of oxygen, and eliminate CO2/carbon monoxide (conflicting info as to what is the true issue, is it carbon monoxide or the amount of oxygen used by burners?). I have a battery operated carbon monoxide sensor, and a fire extinguisher. It is my belief the air blower, being positioned on the ground, should evacuate any propane that settles down there (assuming I don't smell it, if there is a leak or the flame goes out).

I know there are some who use a propane burner in their garage with it simply slightly cracked, and others who wouldn't use a propane burner in a 30 x 30 wood shed with a commercial air handler. I am seeking thoughts from a safety persepctive, anything I am missing, forgetting, overlooking, or downright being dangerous about?

When done, am I ok to keep the propane tanks in the shed? I have read alot of conflicting views on where to keep these. Hell I currently have them in the garage so this is a step up.

Appreciate everyones thoughts, time, science, support, 2 cents.

For safety get a CO monitor. I put one in my garage(which is much bigger at 24x30). My last brew session I raised the 16' wide door 2 feet and opened 2 windows. CO detector never made a peep.

I run three propane burners inside, in a room about the size of yours, maybe a little bigger. I have a full hood over the stand, with a 600 cfm fan, an ac pulling air in, and an open door into a two car garage for fresh air to be drawn from. Everyone's situation is different, but I have not had any problems in the three years of this setup

Back