Trying to stay classy in Riverside California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mumume

Reaction score
Greetings All! My name is Stephen and I have been nerding out for a few months lurking the forums and reading John Palmer's "How to Brew." Today, I took the plunge and bought a starter kit #4 from the More Beer! store here in Riverside. I had a great experience there. Now I'm just trying to familiarize myself with all my new goodies and the process. I can't wait to use the Pale Ale ingredients that came with my kit and eventually move up to an all grain batch! I have so many questions, but I'll save them for the specific sub forums. This forum seems great and I look forward to becoming a member of this community.

Hard to stay classy in Riverside....jk

Plenty of great info here, and people seem to be more than happy to answer most questions you have. Good luck, it is hard to mess up as long as you pay attention and stay clean. Good luck and welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What's up from Riverside? You'll be more than happy with BBMB; they're super helpful with any and all aspects of brewing. Last time I was in there the guy was on the phone talking someone through their brewing dilemma..pretty cool.
Anyway, this place has massive amounts of information and personal experience accounts. Pretty much any problems /questions you come across, there will be answers here.
Welcome and good luck.

You have read the threads and posts about some kits having less than stellar brewing instructions?
Ask questions. Everyone here is can help out.

If you bought this morning I saw you . Welcome to the hobby. I was in the blue t- shirt.:)

You have read the threads and posts about some kits having less than stellar brewing instructions?
Ask questions. Everyone here is can help out.

If you bought this morning I saw you . Welcome to the hobby. I was in the blue t- shirt.:)

Yeah, the instructions could definitely be improved!! ChelisHubby, Yeah that was me! I was wearing the misfits shirt and I was with my girlfriend. Pretty small world! Thanks for all the welcoming words. I can't wait to get started.

They are good guys there. they are answering my questions and helping me find what I want. So your going to do a Pale ale, I started with their honey pale ales my first couple of times then I started to try other things. This time of year it is challenging to hold down the fermentation temps you might want to look for a tub or a Cooler that is tall enough for your carboy and then use water and bottles of frozen water to keep the tempature down. Most of the yeast works best in the 65 degree range give or take a couple. Cheers and good Luck!:)

They are good guys there. they are answering my questions and helping me find what I want. So your going to do a Pale ale, I started with their honey pale ales my first couple of times then I started to try other things. This time of year it is challenging to hold down the fermentation temps you might want to look for a tub or a Cooler that is tall enough for your carboy and then use water and bottles of frozen water to keep the tempature down. Most of the yeast works best in the 65 degree range give or take a couple. Cheers and good Luck!:)

What he said. You'll want a "swamp cooler" for around here to keep fermentation temperature under control. There are many ways to control temps, but the swamp cooler is pretty inexpensive and easy to maintain. Get a large tub from lowes/hd and do what chelshubby says with the frozen water bottles. It works quite well if you stay on top of it.
For the most part, whatever style you're going for, fermentation temperature control is the most important aspect of brewing...beyond the other thousand things...

Welcome from Rancho Cucamonga! The Riverside store is great (if not well hidden)! :mug:
Boy your not kidding about being hidden, I circled the darn bridge for twenty minutes looking for the place the first time. the GPS kept saying I had arrived at the top of the bridge.:mug:

Boy your not kidding about being hidden, I circled the darn bridge for twenty minutes looking for the place the first time. the GPS kept saying I had arrived at the top of the bridge.:mug:

haha totally! Luckily my Dad's Furniture repair shop is right up the street so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

What he said. You'll want a "swamp cooler" for around here to keep fermentation temperature under control. There are many ways to control temps, but the swamp cooler is pretty inexpensive and easy to maintain. Get a large tub from lowes/hd and do what chelshubby says with the frozen water bottles. It works quite well if you stay on top of it.
For the most part, whatever style you're going for, fermentation temperature control is the most important aspect of brewing...beyond the other thousand things...

Think 6-8 frozen water bottles should do it (per day)? Rob at More Beer! said about 8 to 10 lbs of ice per day for the first few days in one of those tubs for a 5 gal batch. What do ya'll think?

That'll work. Just make sure you have enough frozen bottles to swap out 2-3 times a day. When fermentation starts the metabolization will heat your brew up, sometimes 6-8 degrees higher so you gotta be vigilant those few days. If it heats up you'll get off flavors and fusal alcohols that smell like rubbing alcohol. You don't want super low temps either, your fermentation may stall and off flavors can manifest there as well.

:mug:The first 4 or 5 days the beer fermenting makes some heat after that your need for ice slows down to 1/2 or less depending on the swamp cooler. I am using a square ice chest and letting the blow off tube run thru the hole in the top the first 4 days or so. after that I just put the air lock in . I cut a hole in the lid of the chest that just clears the air lock by a 1/4 inch or so. I would give a picture but I am computer dumb and camera dumb. lol How often you change out ice bottles will depend on how warm the area is and how insulated the swamp cooler water is from the outside.:mug:

Riverside here too, just picked up two kits at BBMB Friday. :) Yeah, that bridge throws me off. We're excited to get these going, and it's nice to see other locals so active in here.

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO :mug:

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you're well established here already. Good luck on the first brew.

Thanks fellas! I'm going to get my hands on an outdoor propane burner and brew my first batch this coming week!

Back