Trying to make my first recipe, need assistance please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc587491

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am trying to do a test batch of a Ginger Siason. I am using my basis off of the recipe in Extreme Brewing from DFH. I have converted it to a 1 gal batch and I am adding some sweet orange peel, fresh ginger and candied ginger. (note: The ingredients might not be exact do to my local shops' inventory).

So here it goes, Please let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions.

Ginger Saison: 1 gal, SG: 1.072, FG: 1.015, ABV 7%

1.25 G Water
.20#/3.2oz Cara 8 Malt

24.32oz Light Malt Extract
5.6 grams Czech Saaz (in at 30min)

1/2tsp Sweet Orange Peel (flame out)
1Tbsp Candied Ginger (fame out)

1/5th packet Wyeast French Saison (not going to smack it, divide it and the nutrients seperatly)

Also going to add boiled fresh ginger tea in secondary.

I plugged it in Brewtarget but it came out kinda funky because it doesnt have the exact ingredients and the quantities seemed odd.

Thank You in advance,
Joe

it's hard to tell with such a small batch. beersmith is going crazy with the recipe, it keeps rounding the numbers way up. just go for it tho. you're not out a whole lot if it ends up being a little off.

Yeah I've had a problem with that too..usually anything under 2gal and the numbers start to get wonky and it's telling me to add 15oz of hops...

You might want to start with a little more water. .25 seems like a small amount for boil off, and considering how small a batch this is it'd be a bummer if you cut yourself short. 1 gal is less than a 12er as it is!

Back