Trunk Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Tun

Reaction score
I want to start by thanking the many HBT contributors for their seemingly endless knowledge and creativity. Much of what I've learned over the last couple of years can be directly attributed to the members here.

The inspiration for this keezer build was born out of necessity. My beautiful fiance made it abundantly clear that the ONLY way I could bring it in the house was to make it look like a piece of furniture. So.....with a concept sketch and some rough dimension....here's what we built.

Materials:
2x2x1/8" angle iron
2x1/8" flat iron
16 gauge sheet steel
3/4" steel pipe
1/2" steel pipe
4/4 rough sawn pine
3/4" plywood (base)
1/2" plywood (lid bottom)
1/2" foam insulation
4 perlick 650ss faucets w/ stainless shanks
Japanese Brown metal patina
Early American wood stain (Minwax)
Old School shackle locks

I've only posted pics of the finished product. However, if anyone is interested in start to finish pics I'll be happy to post them.

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

Beautiful Kezzer. Great imagination. I just have to wonder about the CO2 tank being on its side, You don't get liquid CO2 in the lines? I always thought you had to keep them upright. :mug:

Thanks! It really has been nice not having to go to the garage every time I want a beer!

The short answer is, no…..I don’t get liquid C02 in my beer. I was initially worried about the same thing. But….I really really really didn’t want the bottle taking up precious space in the keezer. And because it’s in our den I couldn’t put it outside either. I did a little research and found a thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=263455&highlight=expander) explaining that if the C02 bottle has an “expander” on the valve it can be mounted horizontally. Because I didn’t have a picture of the “expander” and not being one to believe everything I read; I also did some testing of my own before I did the final fitting.

First, I turned my mostly empty bottle upside down and cracked the valve. No liquid C02. Then, after I had the bottle filled, I laid it on its side and cracked the valve. No liquid C02. Then, after I mounted it and installed the regulator, I opened the bottle valve all the way and set the regulator at ~36 psi (force carb press). Still no liquid C02. Finally, I set it to ~12 psi. Same results. In no case did I get liquid C02 to come out of the bottle.

It is worth mentioning however that (according to the source above) not all C02 bottles have this “expander” installed on them and it isn’t something that can be added.
:mug:

Thank you for the reply. I did not know about this "expander". I will have to look to see if my tank has it.:mug:

I don't know anything about Keezer engineering yet, but that thing looks gorgeous. Bravo!

I don't know anything about Keezer engineering yet, but that thing looks gorgeous. Bravo!

Thank you. Honestly I really didn't know how I was going to get from the concept in my head to the finished product when I started. As with most projects I undertake....I ended up figuring it out along the way. Fortunately I did have any huge mistakes I couldn't recover from ;)

It's pretty cool, but I'm disappointed because I was expecting a car-trunk keezer.

Didn't think of the building a keezer out of a car trunk. That's a brilliant idea for a themed bar or garage man cave. You'll have to let us know if you ever build one.

Back