True Brew Belgian Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85shadow

Reaction score
I have a True Brew Kit - Belgian Ale. I was told that this would be a Duvel clone. I would like to start it tomorrow. I noticed that the kit does not include yeast nutrient. Is yeast nutrient advisable for this beer with a beginning gravity of 1.06? If so, do I add it when I transfer to the secondary? How long can/should it remain in the secondary? Thanks!

I have a True Brew Kit - Belgian Ale. I was told that this would be a Duvel clone. I would like to start it tomorrow. I noticed that the kit does not include yeast nutrient. Is yeast nutrient advisable for this beer with a beginning gravity of 1.06? If so, do I add it when I transfer to the secondary? How long can/should it remain in the secondary? Thanks!

does the recipe call for yeast nutrient?

No, it does not call for yeast nutrient but it does not call for a secondary either - basics only like bottling after one week in the primary.

No, it does not call for yeast nutrient but it does not call for a secondary either - basics only like bottling after one week in the primary.

Wear a flak jacket when you are around your bottles if you bottle after only one week in the primary. The "no secondary" is fine, though. It is an unnecessary step for many, many beers. I'd leave it in the primary for 3 weeks, then transfer to the bottling bucket and bottle.

What yeast does the kit come with? T-58? T-33?

That was my first beer. It is not like Duvel. It is more like an abbey blonde. It's pretty decent for a mass produced kit.

You won't need nutrient. You can ferment it a bit warm (I think mine was fermenting close to 80F) as the esters produced at warmer temperatures will add a desirable flavor.

Latest posts

Back