Truble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloomerjt07

Reaction score
I brewed a fat tire clone, and i didn't strain which is usual, and i put in the fermenter. Everything went great until i read a thread on HBT that said if u leave the trub in ur primary it adds a bitter flavor to ur beer. Is this all beer? will my fat tire be bitter? I plan to rack to a secondary for 2 weeks, will that remove some of the bitterness?

I'm sure others will/can comment with more knowledge, but from what I have read here it takes many weeks sitting on trub to induce a bad flavor.

You should be fine... I generally whirlpool the heck out of all my beers and transfer very little trub. That being said though, move it off that primary yeast cake and trub after a week of so and there will be no problem.

Brewpilot

I'm under the impression that you can leave it in the primary for a few weeks before it gets off flavours. I've done up to four weeks in primary and still got a damn good beer out of it.

The bittering chemicals in hops will not dissolve at fermentation temperatures.

Autolysis (yeast death) won't happen for months.

Latest posts

Back