Trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salb29

Reaction score
Just poured my wort into carb boy it's sat for about 10 min waiting in yeast by I have noticed lots of trub at bottom of carboy already, something to worry about? Shod I rack back to a bottling bucket and then put back into carboy after I have cleaned all the trub out?

salb29 said:
Just poured my wort into carb boy it's sat for about 10 min waiting in yeast by I have noticed lots of trub at bottom of carboy already, something to worry about? Shod I rack back to a bottling bucket and then put back into carboy after I have cleaned all the trub out?

Sorry not sitting in yeast

I'm no veteran but I just dump the whole kit n kaboodle into my fermenter...hop mess and all. I don't think there's anything wrong with doing this.

I strain all going into the fermenter,but the fine silty stuff usually settles out pretty quick. Nothing to worry about. It won't hurt anything,as the yeast will settle on top of it.

unionrdr said:
I strain all going into the fermenter,but the fine silty stuff usually settles out pretty quick. Nothing to worry about. It won't hurt anything,as the yeast will settle on top of it.

But why? Is there a benefit to the beer? Is it only important if you plan to harvest the yeast?

Again, I feel the need to explain that I'm not questioning the techniques of the more experienced brewers. I am genuinely interested in learning the "why's".

But why? Is there a benefit to the beer? Is it only important if you plan to harvest the yeast?

Again, I feel the need to explain that I'm not questioning the techniques of the more experienced brewers. I am genuinely interested in learning the "why's".

+1 on that one!

The reason I use the strainer is twofold. Pouring the chilled wort & top off water through the fine mesh strainer in a circular motion makes it come out the strainer like rain,aerating it. Plus it getts the grainier gunk out.
This gives less trub at bottling day,so more clear beer for me. Plus it gives less trub to wash out of the yeast when I want to reuse an expensive yeast variety.

unionrdr said:
The reason I use the strainer is twofold. Pouring the chilled wort & top off water through the fine mesh strainer in a circular motion makes it come out the strainer like rain,aerating it. Plus it getts the grainier gunk out.
This gives less trub at bottling day,so more clear beer for me. Plus it gives less trub to wash out of the yeast when I want to reuse an expensive yeast variety.

I assumed it had to do with harvesting the yeast...which is well beyond where I am right now. Thanks for the explanation. The other reasons I can certainly see.

Back