Trub removal question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyresious

Reaction score
Hello, and thanks in advance.

Just started a new recipe, (my 5th total beer so far), based on this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/maple-pumpkin-ale-24249/#post236883

At this point, I understand the basics of home brewing, but something new has come up: Trubing. This pumpkin ale has produced *a lot* of bottom sediment and im wondering what would be the best method to go about removing the trub. Heres the problems im encountering:

Run the entire batch through a thick cheese cloth? (I feel like this would remove most of the yeast)

Or, only rack off the top, and completely avoid the sediment? (this would probably reduce my total volume of finished product by at least a gallon maybe more, out of 5 total)

This is why I pour my chilled wort through a large dual layer fine mesh strainer into the FV. It not only removes a lot of the gunk,but aerates it as well. I get 3/8-1/2" of compacted trub/yeast by bottling day.

if it's already fermented, don't try filtering, it would only oxidize your beer.

rack from on top, avoiding the trub & accepting the loss of total volume.

compensate for that next time, or filter it out going into the fermenter before pitching yeast

Also how long has it been in the fermenter? If under a couple weeks you might want to leave it sit a little longer as it will often compact down more. As others said if you're going to strain it would be into the primary, not after fermentation. I personally don't bother straining and dump everything in, then adjust the recipe to account for the expected trub loss. For me that's about about 1.25 gallon on a 10 gallon batch.

Agreed on letting it sit longer than normal (unless it is already a lot longer). The trub will compact more so you will lose less.
I have a pumpkin ale fermenting now, I bagged the pumpkin in a 5 gallon paint strainer bag, just looked and have an average trub. I don't strain and usually have only a quart of trub, yeast and lost beer left in the bottom of the fermenter. When bottling I usually get 52 - 56 bottles.

If you can cold crash it for a week or two try that. It will help compact the Trub and you'll lose less beer

Back