Trub Removal or Reduction Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrsdws

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed my 5th all grain batch today and I'm starting to see some consistency in my process and efficiency.

One thing I'd like to accomplish now is to figure out how to get more wort from my kettle to the fermenter. I'm losing about a half gallon of wort because I don't want to suck any more trub up through the siphon.

I use a Whirlfloc tablet with 15 minutes left in the boil and everything flocs up and falls to the bottom when chilled.

I ferment in ale pails. Is there a way to filter when transferring? What do you guys and gals do?

I dump it all into the fermenter. The hops settle out when the ferment slows and the yeast settles on top of it. By siphoning above the yeast when I bottle I don't get all the trub into the bottling bucket and I don't leave half a gallon of wort in my boil kettle.

I dump it all into the fermenter. The hops settle out when the ferment slows and the yeast settles on top of it. By siphoning above the yeast when I bottle I don't get all the trub into the bottling bucket and I don't leave half a gallon of wort in my boil kettle.

+1...Just dump it all in. It settles out. I get nice clear beers so dumping it in is no big deal.

Does it become more solid in the fermenter and kind of stay put when siphoning over to the bottling bucket?

Hello, Yes it compacts in the fermenter and yes it will stay put as long as you don't move or agitate the fermenter.

Cheers :mug:

I just bought a hop basket and used it for the first time. While the wort was cooling, I cleaned out the basket. When I transferred to the primary, I passed the wort through the hop basket. It filtered out a bunch of stuff.

I have a spigot on the bottom of my kettle, and use a false bottom and whole hops. I drain into the fermenter through a CFC, and tilt the kettle towards the spigot. When I'm done, I have about 1 cup of trub on the bottom of the kettle, and the hops catch most of the rest (although I do get the cold break in the fermenter). Works for me.

-a.

I'll take it one step further for you.

use a sanitized stainless spaghetti strainer, dump the cooled wort into primary through the strainer. It'll aerate your wort and strain out most of the trub too. It just doesn't work well with pellet hops boils - they clog the strainer too much.

what I'm wondering is if the irish moss I'm using for last 10 minutes of the boil actually do anything to clear the beer with this method. I've never had complaints about cloudiness, but is it due to the moss?

That's exactly what I did last time. Forgot to whirlpool, said screw it. Dumped it all through my biab bag, it strained all the hops out at least. I'm sure the break didn't get strained but I'll find out tomorrow if it's clear or not.

Yeah, I dump the whole batch in the primary as well. I use Irish Moss, which works wonders for clearing my beer out. I also cold crash in my secondary for an even clearer beer.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'll take it one step further for you.

use a sanitized stainless spaghetti strainer, dump the cooled wort into primary through the strainer. It'll aerate your wort and strain out most of the trub too. It just doesn't work well with pellet hops boils - they clog the strainer too much.

what I'm wondering is if the irish moss I'm using for last 10 minutes of the boil actually do anything to clear the beer with this method. I've never had complaints about cloudiness, but is it due to the moss?

I follow these same steps. And I am also curious if the Irish moss does anything. I know it makes the break floc a lot better during the cooling process, but I always wonder if it helps in the carboy since I dump it all in there otherwise.

The stuff is so cheap that I do it regardless, but it does make me wonder...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back