Trub or no Trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandlerBang

Reaction score
The trub at the bottom of the brew pot. Intructions in the Brewer's Best kit says to avoid transferring that to the fermenter. I buddy that used to brew a long time ago, said you want all that crap in the primary.

I'm tossing this one up to the HBT gods.

Ale or lager? Either way it won't make bad beer, but typically the only style that you absolutely wouldn't want the trub in is a light lager. Otherwise... I would dump it all in. Trub has stuff in it that the yeast can use, and you will be transferring off of the trub once fermentation is done anyways. If you can get it in the fermenter without it then fine, but I wouldn't worry if you did. I dump my entire kettle into my fermenter and have great beers (last two were lagers and did have chill haze but.... who cares if they taste great).

Ale or lager? Either way it won't make bad beer, but typically the only style that you absolutely wouldn't want the trub in is a light lager. Otherwise... I would dump it all in. Trub has stuff in it that the yeast can use, and you will be transferring off of the trub once fermentation is done anyways. If you can get it in the fermenter without it then fine, but I wouldn't worry if you did. I dump my entire kettle into my fermenter and have great beers (last two were lagers and did have chill haze but.... who cares if they taste great).

Freakin' Northerners!

<<<<< Ducks into the shadows of Mercy Hospital. ;)

I dump my entire kettle into my fermenter and have great beers (last two were lagers and did have chill haze but.... who cares if they taste great).

Freakin' Northerners!

<<<<< Ducks into the shadows of Mercy Hospital. ;)

I dump my kettle into the fermentor too, and haven't had any problems. And I'm a Southerner. :D

Oh, and the word you were looking for was Yankee.:ban:

I dump it all in, every time, and I am a Yankee! :ban:

Like autolysis, and the need for secondary, this is one of those issues that you just have to decide on your own; everyone will give you a different opinion.

I always say accept every opinion except for the guy who says, "You have to do it this way or else..."

Even if you have a ton of crud, it'll compact in the fermenter. Some people choose to strain it out, some don't. Either way is fine. I brewed over 200 batches without straining. The only reason I have to be more careful now is my new system- I have a pump and CFC and it clogs pretty easily so I have been using hops bags and a "hopblocker" on the ballvalve.

You know what? The beers are no better (or worse) than the first 250 batches. So, in my experience, it really doesn't matter a bit if you strain out the hops/coldbreak/hotbreak or not.

Interesting. I'm not -too- concerned about it when I transfer to primary, but I do try to leave the bulk of the trub in the cook pot to toss out.

I may dump it all in next batch just to see what happens.

.....even though I hate to mess up my first oatmeal stout....

I hate this discussion. Every time I see it on here, which seems like almost every day lately, I read it all and get confused at what to do. I always say "Eff it, i'm gonna whirlpool and get rid of it". Then on brewday when it's time to transfer to the fermenter I say "Damn, I could get another galloin of beer out of this". I wind up trying to get most of it out, but I think from now on, I'm just gonna dump it all in. I ordered some whirfloc and think that should help get everything out and compacted into the bottom. I'm brewing soon, so we'll see.

I've been meaning to come to one of the club meetings on staten island. Where's New Brightons meetings and when. I know we've gone over this before, but I forgot. I was going to go to the St George Taps and Barley one tonight, but I've been sick and taking medicine. I don't know if I've ever walked into a bar and not drank, so I figured I'd sit this one out. I think I need to make some brewing friends. I'm tired of getting "that face" when I tell friends or co workers that I'm brewing on a saturday. And I'd like to taste some other brewers stuff, and get some critiques on my own. I'm trying to get a fermentation chamber built so I can start brewing again. Lemme know about the meetings, I'll try to get down there and meet up with some other homebrewers.

I've brewed dozens of batches. Depending on each brew day's circumstances I've both thrown the trub in or left it out in several batches. I've done it both ways. The only difference I've noticed is my fermentations with the trub included were more active. Tastewise I haven't noticed a thing.

but I think from now on, I'm just gonna dump it all in.

That's the ticket! Just don't stress over it man. If you are seriously interested in a definitive answer try it both ways. Dump it all in tis time and the next time you brew do the opposite and let taste be your judge.

None of these fools know what they are talking about here. Neither do I of course...

I dump it all in because the one time I tried to leave it behind in the kettle I was a gallon short of my intended volume.

I hate this discussion. Every time I see it on here, which seems like almost every day lately, I read it all and get confused at what to do. I always say "Eff it, i'm gonna whirlpool and get rid of it". Then on brewday when it's time to transfer to the fermenter I say "Damn, I could get another galloin of beer out of this". I wind up trying to get most of it out, but I think from now on, I'm just gonna dump it all in. I ordered some whirfloc and think that should help get everything out and compacted into the bottom. I'm brewing soon, so we'll see.

Welcome to the dark side.

I did an American Pale Ale and threw all the trub in and it was awesome. Next time, I did the same recipe and strained it....and it turned out not nearly as hoppy. I just think it depends on the style if it matters or not.

Back