Trub Dump Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace0005

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious to know when you guys dump your trub. Do you wait for fermentation to stop? Or, do you do it when fermentation slows down?

I'm curious to know when you guys dump your trub.
If I’m using anything but a conical with a dump port. When fermentation is done and I’m ready to package. A conical I wait until fermentation is done as well, dump the trub then it becomes a secondary without disturbing the beverage.

In my conical I wait till it packs down enough to not waste a lot of beer when dumped. Sometimes I have to do several small dumps as beer wants to push past the trub sometimes.

In my carboy and jug fermenters, I dump the trub after I've racked the beer out and bottled it. I'm a little conflicted right now as the beers I've done that sat on a thick trub layer for a long time seem to always be the beers I like.

So I might wait till nearly bottling time to dump the trub on my upcoming batches I do in the conical.

Boy, lots of possibilities, depends on the beer. Typically after fermentation and some sort of soft crash. That's for my conicals. If it's in a carboy it stays for the full ride, unnnlesss I'm transferring to another vessel for fruiting, then usually right before fermentation is done. Though 90% fit in the after fermentation, post soft crash realm. The soft crash just helps the the yeasties to drop out better.

For me, I use a bucket fermenter so I just wait until it is either in the keg or bottles and dump it. But, I am going to try and reuse it. I think I read you leave a little beer in the bucket, swirl it up and put it in mason jars and fridge it and it is supposed to be good for a few months. But, I digress, for me, I wait until it is on the packaging and then dump it in the street and wash everything down so the neighbor doesn't *****. LOL

I do a trub dump and gravity reading when the fermentation starts to slow. Good way to time when to rack to kegs and spund.

Sometimes I'll also dump after cold break if I think some excess solids got into fermentor, or if I'm on a multi yeast cake run and there are extra yeast solids building up.

This applies to conical with dump port, with other rigs, this might not be so easy.

I'm assuming it's a conical because "dumping trub" is generally isolated to that. You should dump trub when you reach pitching temp but before pitching in the yeast. The next time you'd want to dump is just before a (post ferment) dry hop and/or a day or few hours before moving the beer to packaging. If you're dry hopping at peak fermentation for biotransformation then no you wouldn't dump.

Latest posts

Back