Trouble identifying off flavor in Florida...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonofthedead

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have had an off flavor occur in multiple batches and I am trying to get to the bottom of it.

To me it tastes mediciney but my wife says it is just bitter. I thought it could be StarSan left in my fermenter but after searching the forums it seems starsan shouldn't do this. I use tap and thought it could be the chlorine/cholormines but I use Campden tabs (500mg per 20 gal).

I ferment under pressure of about 5 psi at room temp (73-76 degrees) using bry-97 in stainless kegs and I thought it could have been fementation temperature but I also have batches of the same recipe that turn out fine as well under the same conditions and I have had the same issue when using s-05.

Anyway I am stumped and would appreciate any input or better if there is a taster in the st pete area willing to give a sip and attempt to identify that would be even better.

Thanks.

There are a lot of good brewers and clubs in the tampa / st pete area I would suggest hitting up a PUB or special or special hoperations meeting and bringing your beer. Looks like PUB meets at RAPP Sept 9 at 2pm

https://pubguild.com

Trouble identifying off flavor in Florida... Try taking the beer to Georgia and see if you can identify the taste there.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I don't have any ideas other than trying a lower fermentation temperature.

From Lallemand: FERMENTATION RANGE 15 - 22°C (59 - 72°F)

I would ferment with this yeast at about 64 degrees. Most ale yeast do best in the mid sixties.

Trouble identifying off flavor in Florida... Try taking the beer to Georgia and see if you can identify the taste there.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I don't have any ideas other than trying a lower fermentation temperature.

From Lallemand: FERMENTATION RANGE 15 - 22°C (59 - 72°F)

I would ferment with this yeast at about 64 degrees. Most ale yeast do best in the mid sixties.
Yeah I was thinking that too however under pressure fermentation is "supposed" to allow for higher temps, and as I said before I have brewed this batch multiple times before in this temp range with no issue.

To further add to it (and to really make me think it is a sanitation issue) out of the 10 gallons I made, one 5 gallon keg was not as bad as the other. There is one Keg that reaks of medicine and you can't drink it, and the other I can't smell it and since it is an APA I just get a hint of the off flavor before the hops kick in.

The batch before came out of fermentation and tasted great but about 2 months in the Keg (went on vacation) and it had the same off flavor.

That being said I am going to chalk this up to sanitation. To be 100% sure I am going to do another 10gal batch and put half in a new sanitized plastic bucket and the other half Under pressure in a sanitized Keg and see what happens. If they both develop off flavors then I can start exploring temperature control issues. If it is just the Keg I will know my Kegs aren't getting fully sanitized, and if it is just the bucket, well then I don't know what the heck is going on...

Its temperature control problem. When that yeast is working its warmer than your room temperature by quite a bit. I used to have similar issues.

+1 to the above - your temp inside your fermenter is likely 10°F higher than the ambient - I'm not repeating common lore, I've measured mine!

over my many years brewing, without any doubt I give credit to Fermentation Temperature as my #1 improvement in my beers.

Keep to the low range of the yeast - because they'll work themselves into the higher range on their own.

To further add to it (and to really make me think it is a sanitation issue) out of the 10 gallons I made, one 5 gallon keg was not as bad as the other. There is one Keg that reaks of medicine and you can't drink it, and the other I can't smell it and since it is an APA I just get a hint of the off flavor before the hops kick in.

The batch before came out of fermentation and tasted great but about 2 months in the Keg (went on vacation) and it had the same off flavor.

Bear in mind it might not be just the keg. It might have something related to racking equipment, etc. I would suggest investigating your transfer equipment in addition to the kegs, as well as *ANYTHING* that touches the beer on the cold side.

I'd also consider oxidation. That would explain premature staling, and depending on your transfer processes, could affect one keg of a batch more than another (for example if you had trouble getting a siphon started, the first keg might have excess oxygen but the second didnt'). Off flavors are really hard to describe before you get LOTS of experience, and IMHO the "sherry" description is one that could sometimes be called "medicinal" depending on your palate.

If it's fermenting temp, it should never show up 2 months later. Bad ferment temp tastes bad when fresh.

+1 to the above - your temp inside your fermenter is likely 10°F higher than the ambient - I'm not repeating common lore, I've measured mine!

over my many years brewing, without any doubt I give credit to Fermentation Temperature as my #1 improvement in my beers.

Keep to the low range of the yeast - because they'll work themselves into the higher range on their own.

You can use a thermowell to get a reading of the fermenting wort, then you can really dial in your temps to whatever you want using a temp controller like inkbird.

Latest posts

Back