Tropic Thunder NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturman35

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m doing my first NEIPA this weekend which I have coined Tropic Thunder! This is a slightly modified version of Tropical Haze NEIPA from Homebrew recipes. Survive!!!

10lbs 2 Row Pale Malt
1lb Flaked Osts
1lb Flaked Wheat
12oz Cara-Pils
1lb local honey @ 60min

.65oz Citra (first wort hops)

.25oz Citra (flameout 40 min hop stand)
.25oz Mosiac (flameout 40 min hop stand)
.25oz Amarillo (flameout 40 min hop stand)

10 minutes after flameout
.50oz Citra (flameout 30 min hop stand)
.50oz Mosiac (flameout 30 min hop stand)
.50oz Amarillo (flameout 30 min hop stand)

20 minutes after flameout
.75oz Citra (flameout 20 min hop stand)
.75 Mosiac (flameout 20 min hop stand)
.75oz Amarillo (flameout 20 min hop stand)

Dry hop schedule
1oz Citra (First Dry hop 5 days)
1oz Mosiac (First Dry hop 5 days)
1oz Amarillo (First Dry hop 5 days)

1oz Citra (Second Dry hop 5 days)
1oz Mosiac (Second Dry hop 5 days)
1oz Amarillo (Second Dry hop 5 days)

.50oz Nelson Sauvin (Dry hop in Keg)
.50oz Cascade (Dry hop in Keg)
.50oz Citra (Dry hop in Keg)

Yeast Safale S-04

Standby for updates!
IMG_1521593686.628061.jpg

Last edited:
Looks delicious, but I'm compelled to point out that the quasi-standard neipa "bio-hop" phase seems to be nearly missing, which may prove significant in the end. I would move your first dry hop to 48 hours after pitching your yeast, let that run for four-five days, do the second addition, give that four days, then carry on with the rest of your schedule.

And skip the whole "secondary" thing, it's unnecessary and potentially detrimental...

Cheers!

Thanks for the insight! I typically let all of my beers go 30 days in primary and never secondary. However, the original says to remove the first round of dry hops after 5 days. I ferment in glass carboys so I am not aware of a way to remove hops.

What is the chance I will get a grassy taste letting them sit 10 days?

Last edited:
In my experience brewing NEIPAs at a furious pace over the last 9 months using the timing I mentioned, pretty much zero chance...

Cheers!

my thoughts: 1) that's a waste of citra for FWH. either replace with a generic bittering hop or omit entirely 2) probably unnecessarily complicated flameout/whirlpool strategy. Just add them all at once when you're below 170F 3) don't secondary, you're almost guaranteeing you will oxidize this beer by moving it twice. Dryhop on day 1-2 and then again on 5-6 if you want to. Then package on day 10-11 as long as fermentation is complete. You won't experience grassy flavors. Cheers!

my thoughts: 1) that's a waste of citra for FWH. either replace with a generic bittering hop or omit entirely 2) probably unnecessarily complicated flameout/whirlpool strategy. Just add them all at once when you're below 170F 3) don't secondary, you're almost guaranteeing you will oxidize this beer by moving it twice. Dryhop on day 1-2 and then again on 5-6 if you want to. Then package on day 10-11 as long as fermentation is complete. You won't experience grassy flavors. Cheers!

Thanks for the replies!
I just so happen to have 1/2 oz Citra laying around so I might as well use. I will take everyone’s advise and dry hop and leave beer in primary. I never secondary anyway. Makes me a little nervous kegging so quick I usually leave my beer alone and don’t even pull FG until I rack into keg.

Those hops are gone smell and taste great.

Have you given any thought to using some wheat malt and a less flocculant yeast than the S-04? Both would contribute to a good haze.

Those hops are gone smell and taste great.

Have you given any thought to using some wheat malt and a less flocculant yeast than the S-04? Both would contribute to a good haze.

Yea, LHBS did not have Wyeast 1318 English Ale so I’m stuck using this pack of Safale S04. I think it will be fine although I’d prefer to make a starter using liquid yeast.

Yea, LHBS did not have Wyeast 1318 English Ale so I’m stuck using this pack of Safale S04. I think it will be fine although I’d prefer to make a starter using liquid yeast.

Yes, Chico yeast always works great. You can't go wrong with it. When i brew my next one I think I'll try Wyeast 1010 American Wheat for the low floc.

Have a great brew day. Don't forget to tell us about it. :)

S04 =/ Chico. That'd be US-05. S04 is an English Ale strain.

Anyway, I expect the S04 will do a passable job of not drying the beer out below style...which Chico will do, actually...

Cheers!

S04 =/ Chico. That'd be US-05. S04 is an English Ale strain.

Anyway, I expect the S04 will do a passable job of not drying the beer out below style...which Chico will do, actually...

Cheers!
You are absolutely right! For whatever reason I had S05 on the brain when I read S04. :)

What are your thoughts on adding half a can of grapefruit concentrate ? The original recipe says you can add a entire can I just don’t want to go overboard.

Never done anything like that. Mostly because you can get so much citrusy flavor out of hops I've never considered it.
I mean, holy cow, you take a pull on something like the Julius clone and I doubt one's first thought would be "Jeeze, wish I added some grapefruit!"

So, no thoughts, I guess...

Cheers! ;)

I seen your post and thought... wait a minute is this guy local?! LOL

Tropik Thunder 2.0 IPA-American
7.2% ABV
90 IBU
Off Square Brewing
Crown Point, IN
Even more pineapple added to this version of our New England-ish style IPA kicks it up a notch.

IMG_1522073004.988240.jpg

IMG_1522073024.851631.jpg

Fermenting away at 12 hours! OG came in a little hotter at 1.069 instead of 1.065. May have added more than a pound of honey, I estimated half a jar.

Last edited:
Kegged this two days ago and really hope this comes around. Right now it taste like and looks like a screwdriver. Really bitter and dry, I was shooting for sweet and tarty. This is my first NEIPA will this condition over time?

Maybe I’m still getting a lot of trub out of the keg.

Kegged this two days ago and really hope this comes around. Right now it taste like and looks like a screwdriver. Really bitter and dry, I was shooting for sweet and tarty. This is my first NEIPA will this condition over time?

Maybe I’m still getting a lot of trub out of the keg.

Yes this is common with the style. Michael Tonsmeire actually recommends conditioning in the serving keg for a week before trying. I'm impatient but I will say the beer will be better after 1-2 weeks of conditioning ~38 degrees.

8 days in the keg and it’s staring to come around. I decided to toss 1/2 oz each of Nelson Suavin, Citra, Cascade at the last minute. Had it laying around so figured what the hell!

Little dank, smell is awesome, really wanted more sweet to come through. Taste Juicy but would like more of a sweet juicy taste if that makes sense. Maybe it will change more with time.

IMG_1233.jpg

fwiw I had just kegged 20 gallons of neipa in the few days prior to escaping to the Bahamas for two weeks and upon my return all four kegs were perfectly carbonated and had classic yeast bite that vanished after the first three pours.
They're now tasting to style so I'd say carry on and see where it goes...

Cheers!

I'm posting solely to commend the Tropic Thunder references. Fantastic work!
I’m doing my first NEIPA this weekend which I have coined Tropic Thunder! This is a slightly modified version of Tropical Haze NEIPA from Homebrew recipes. Survive!!!

10lbs 2 Row Pale Malt
1lb Flaked Osts
1lb Flaked Wheat
12oz Cara-Pils
1lb local honey @ 60min

.65oz Citra (first wort hops)

.25oz Citra (flameout 40 min hop stand)
.25oz Mosiac (flameout 40 min hop stand)
.25oz Amarillo (flameout 40 min hop stand)

10 minutes after flameout
.50oz Citra (flameout 30 min hop stand)
.50oz Mosiac (flameout 30 min hop stand)
.50oz Amarillo (flameout 30 min hop stand)

20 minutes after flameout
.75oz Citra (flameout 20 min hop stand)
.75 Mosiac (flameout 20 min hop stand)
.75oz Amarillo (flameout 20 min hop stand)

Dry hop schedule
1oz Citra (First Dry hop 5 days)
1oz Mosiac (First Dry hop 5 days)
1oz Amarillo (First Dry hop 5 days)

1oz Citra (Second Dry hop 5 days)
1oz Mosiac (Second Dry hop 5 days)
1oz Amarillo (Second Dry hop 5 days)

.50oz Nelson Sauvin (Dry hop in Keg)
.50oz Cascade (Dry hop in Keg)
.50oz Citra (Dry hop in Keg)

Yeast Safale S-04

Standby for updates!
View attachment 562899

Hey guys just an update this beer has been a hit by everyone that has tried it. I’d like to make some changes for my next batch.

I thought about tweaking this recipe but some things are best left alone.

Survive!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back