Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winksalot

Reaction score
Hi!

I have recently racked an APA from Primary to Secondary (after 9 days.)
As this was a little "Too Session" for my liking, i have added some golden sugar which i am hoping will increase the overall alcohol content.

Obviously, as it should, this has started to ferment again, in the same way as it would if it were bottled. But the Co2 will have escaped.

My question therefore is: once this sugar has fermented out and been left to settle in the secondary for a week or so, is there any issue with lightly re-priming this when bottling to carbonate? Or will this cause issues / screw up the taste.
Or do I bottle without priming at all?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

As long as your sugar addition (golden sugar) has completely fermented out (few days) you have the same situation as you had with the original beer when it was completely fermented. No more sugars left after the yeast is done so you prime just like you would have.

Unless you bottled before the sugar was done being fermented (not recommended), you'll need to bottle prime otherwise there isn't anything left for the yeast to eat and carbonate the beer.

Back