Tripled my vials instead of using yeast starter. Same result?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwatson83

Reaction score
So I was preparing for my brew day today since my extract kit was coming in the mail. When it came, I was going through the ingredients to ensure everything was there and I must've accidently checked the box for liquid yeast instead of my usual dry yeast. Anyways, I was brewing a higher gravity Weiss with a target OG between 1.062 and 1.066. I used the yeast pitch calculator on brewersfriend.com and came to the conclusion I needed 288 million yeast cells. I have no yeast starter equipment so I figured 3 vials with 100 million cells each would give me what I needed. I guess my question is if there are any other advantages to yeast starters other than increasing yeast cell count?

I've just finished my brew and had an OG slightly higher than anticipated at 1.068. I'm hoping the three vials I pitched will do the job. Also, this is only my second brew so any comments that get too technical may need to be dumbed down a bit for me.

it will be fine. the main purpose of making a yeast starter is to use the appropriate amount of yeast for the beer. Whether you get there by growing a larger yeast sample or buy a larger yeast sample that is the main point. generally it is cheaper to make a larger starter than paying 21 dollars per batch of beer just for yeast. That's the main reason I make starters as opposed to buying more vials or smack packs

You most likely have the equipment to make a starter. It only takes some DME and a container larger than 2 quarts. The basic starter method is called intermittent shaking. Prepare the size starter wort you will need. Cool the wort. Pour it into the container. Add the yeast. Every time you see it give a shake and a swirl to keep the wort aerated. The yeast will multiply.

The best container I had used for this method was a gallon pickle jar.

A starter can also be useful to make sure your yeast is still alive. If you have expired yeast or yeast that wasn't properly handled, a starter that doesn't "start" within 3-4 days can be a sign you need new yeast.

Roed Haus Brewery

You'll be fine. Like the others posted, a starter saves money, increases your cell count and it gets your yeast active. You may have a bit of a lag time but you definitely did the right thing by not under pitching.

As far as starter containers are concerned I've used one gallon water jugs and plastic 2L orange juice bottles. Intermittent shaking gets the job done. Stir plates just allow people to get a greater amount of growth from the constant introduction of oxygen (I believe).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

if you choose not to make a starter, two fresh vials will be more than enough to do the job.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I did aerate the wort by pouring into the fermentor from about 3 feet up and added top off water and stirred vigorously for a bit. Wort was about 73°F when I pitched the yeast. The Airlock is showing a little action this morning

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

No worries John. You ought to be fine with 3 vials so long as they aren't too old.

If you have some DME and a 2-liter plastic soda bottle or a jar, you can make a starter.

3 vials instead of a starter is the same as....
money-down-the-drain.jpg

3 vials instead of a starter is the same as....
money-down-the-drain.jpg

You're right. But at the time my logic was buying two more vials or a flask, DME, and stir plate. Never crossed my mind to use a sterile jar and just swirl it instead. Lesson learned.

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

Back