tripel sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordbeer

Reaction score
Hey
I sure this has been discussed, but I need some advice.
my recipe calls for rice or rice solids and sugar. I already bought the rice solids so will use it. I am planning to use the sugar during primary fementation, after it slows a bit. my question is should I add the rice solids at the boil, during boil, towards end of boil. can I use it with the sugar or does is definately go in the boil?

I would boil it to make sure it dissolves well. I have done sugar in primary and also in the boil, and think it works just fine tossing everything in the boil, and eliminates the need to open the fermentor.

You can get away with throwing it in the boil, but it's not uncommon to add sugar after fermentation is underway. However, I'd advise adding it when fermentation is peaking, rather than when it is slowing down. Also, if fermentation is vigorous, there is not much risk involved in opening the fermenter, just don't spit in it or anything.

Back