Tri-clover to glass carboy fermentation mod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtn_Brewer

Reaction score
Here's a simple idea I came up with that I think is kind of cool and thought I'd share. I started using thermowells with my fermenter and I wanted to find a way to use them with the glass carboys I have. The 6.5 gal "acid carboys" have a threaded neck, which got me thinking. I bought some caps for them a few years ago that I use for cleaning and sterilizing. I drilled holes in the top of the caps and used a Dremel tool with a grinding wheel to extend the holes to make 1/8 inch lips. I then tapped in some 1.5 inch tri-clover fittings, which fit perfectly. I trimmed the rib off of one side of a silicone ring and it fit the top of the carboy spot on. The cap can easily be tightened to snugly keep the tri-clover in place. I used 1/2 inch ss fittings, to build the rest of the unit to allow a 3/8 inch thermowell or dip tube to be held in place and a side port to use as a blow off tube. After fermentation, I'll replace the thermowell with the dip tube and the blow off tube will be connected to CO2 to push the beer out the dip tube and into the keg or secondary without exposure to air. This part of it I got the idea for from some post on this site I can't find anymore. I bought the dip tubes and all the ss stuff from Brewers Hardware. The only part that is hard to find is the cap. I bet it's a standard size and I'm sure they are made but none of the online venders or my LHBS stock them.

What would be great is if somebody with welding experience was able to get the blow off port, dip tube and thermowell all on top of a 1.5 inch tri-clover fitting, so switching out wouldn't be needed. Brewers Hardware does it with 2 inch fittings (which I have) and I think it should fit.

image-498125831.jpg

image-2321365176.jpg

image-777414513.jpg

image-3440073731.jpg

image-1883418041.jpg

ak_hop said:
That is great! Have two of the acid type fermenters. Where did you get the plastic caps?

One came with the carboy I have. The others I bought online from a vender in TX that doesn't carry them anymore. If anyone can source these I think this could become really popular.

Latest posts

Back