Treehouse Brewing Julius Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many hops/gallon total? Seems like 100% Galaxy would be super intense. Does anyone else get a sort of medicinal character from Galaxy? I love it as a complement to other hops, but it seems like it would be over-the-top as a single hop. Probably depends on what farm/supplier it came from too I would guess.

I did two 6 oz additions total, so 6oz galaxy on day 3 and 6 oz on day 7. Very intense, very green, nothing I would call medicinal. I've brewed this recipe 6 different times using different hop iterations and I will say I've had bad galaxy hops before. I've actually dumped a full batch because the dry-hop additions added a raw vegetable/celery flavor. It was unbearable.

I did two 6 oz additions total, so 6oz galaxy on day 3 and 6 oz on day 7. Very intense, very green, nothing I would call medicinal. I've brewed this recipe 6 different times using different hop iterations and I will say I've had bad galaxy hops before. I've actually dumped a full batch because the dry-hop additions added a raw vegetable/celery flavor. It was unbearable.

have you had good luck or bad luck with a particular supplier of Galaxy? Can you tell from smelling them or only once the beer is finished?

I always saw Galaxy as a hop that you can use all by itself since it's so flavorful and high in oil content. My last 10 gallon batch of all Galaxy IPA used 3 pounds and there was zero medicinal taste. I have also used high percentages of Galaxy with other hops and have had no issues. I'd say all Galaxy is fine if the hops are good, but that goes for any hop. I'm actually shocked to hear people complaining about Galaxy.

I always saw Galaxy as a hop that you can use all by itself since it's so flavorful and high in oil content. My last 10 gallon batch of all Galaxy IPA used 3 pounds and there was zero medicinal taste. I have also used high percentages of Galaxy with other hops and have had no issues. I'd say all Galaxy is fine if the hops are good, but that goes for any hop. I'm actually shocked to hear people complaining about Galaxy.

It's certainly possible that there are different lots of galaxy that are more or less medicinal. I used a pound from Nikobrew awhile ago that had a little medicinal. I am getting a pound from Farmhouse Brewing today that I will have to compare with the Nikobrew lot.

It's certainly possible that there are different lots of galaxy that are more or less medicinal. I used a pound from Nikobrew awhile ago that had a little medicinal. I am getting a pound from Farmhouse Brewing today that I will have to compare with the Nikobrew lot.

I always get the latest harvest from Yakima and they have been great (even if YV's packaging sucks).

have you had good luck or bad luck with a particular supplier of Galaxy? Can you tell from smelling them or only once the beer is finished?

Attached was the exact bag/lot number I had issues with. Nobody else from the LHBS complained about the hops to the shop but I know it was the hops that were giving my beer that flavor (went through a pretty strenuous troubleshoot to figure it out). Couldn't smell that they were bad either.

I'd love to hear people's experience with using Galaxy as an accent hop. How much did you use and what other hops did you use them with?

IMG_4155.jpg

Attached was the exact bag/lot number I had issues with. Nobody else from the LHBS complained about the hops to the shop but I know it was the hops that were giving my beer that flavor (went through a pretty strenuous troubleshoot to figure it out). Couldn't smell that they were bad either.

I'd love to hear people's experience with using Galaxy as an accent hop. How much did you use and what other hops did you use them with?

Sorry for your pain. It must have been a real PITA. I've recently started thinking about how just b/c you add 3 oz of Cascade (or name your hop) doesn't mean that the next time it will taste the same. There can probably be vastly different batches depending on where and when they were grown and how they were stored. Kind of daunting. I guess the key is to find a good supplier who seems to be consistently good and just use them.

Sorry for your pain. It must have been a real PITA. I've recently started thinking about how just b/c you add 3 oz of Cascade (or name your hop) doesn't mean that the next time it will taste the same. There can probably be vastly different batches depending on where and when they were grown and how they were stored. Kind of daunting. I guess the key is to find a good supplier who seems to be consistently good and just use them.

Heard the same with Amarillo. It's a mixed bag every time. +1 on finding a good supplier and sticking with them!

Brewed this last night using the BYO recipe as a baseline. I changed up the hops a bit as I really wanted to hop the hell out of this thing and Citra gets "cat pissy" to me in anything more than a moderate dose. The grain bill is the same, adjusted to my equipment.

Hops are:

1 oz. Columbus @ 60

30 minute hop stand:
3 oz. Galaxy
3 oz. Mosaic
2.5 oz. Simcoe

First dry hop same as above at tail end of fermentation.

Second dry hop four days after, 2 oz. each of the above. That's 24 oz. of hops in a six gallon batch. Fingers crossed.

How did this turn out with the 24 oz of hops?

Maybe put your complaint direct to Selecthops rather than LHBS and at the same time ask them why they have labelled them ''product of New Zealand'' when Galaxy is a proprietory hop grown exclusively on a few farms only in Australia.

Maybe put your complaint direct to Selecthops rather than LHBS and at the same time ask them why they have labelled them ''product of New Zealand'' when Galaxy is a proprietory hop grown exclusively on a few farms only in Australia.

Are you sure is proprietary to Australia only? Maybe they were process in New Zealand?

I'd really love to hear people's opinions on using Galaxy only as an accent dry-hop. I've never had Treehouse's Green, but people are saying that it's "accented" with Galaxy. What other hops are they using? Does anyone know particular ratios of these hops used in dry-hop additions?

Are you sure is proprietary to Australia only? Maybe they were process in New Zealand?

Yes very sure and Selecthops should know too. I think Hop Products Australia (HPA) would be very unimpressed with that packaging.

The best way to use Galaxy is similar to the way you would use Citra. It is very a very potent, high oil hop so is great by itself. If you use it with other hops be careful it does not over power them. It goes well with any other fruity/citrusy hop.

Yes very sure and Selecthops should know too. I think Hop Products Australia (HPA) would be very unimpressed with that packaging.

The best way to use Galaxy is similar to the way you would use Citra. It is very a very potent, high oil hop so is great by itself. If you use it with other hops be careful it does not over power them. It goes well with any other fruity/citrusy hop.

Is HPA the proprietor of Galaxy hops?

How did this turn out with the 24 oz of hops?

I enjoyed it, but I feel like there was a point of diminishing returns somewhere in there. I'm brewing this again soon with Citra, Amarillo and Galaxy. I'm lowering the ABV from 8 to 6 and cutting the hops to around 12 oz. It will take several tries, but I'd like to find that hop sweet spot between not enough and more than necessary.

There's about a gallon left in the keg and it's starting to show it's age in the flavor department. The color is still spot on, though. I'm going to say weeks 2-4 in the keg were optimal for taste.

I'd really love to hear people's opinions on using Galaxy only as an accent dry-hop. I've never had Treehouse's Green, but people are saying that it's "accented" with Galaxy. What other hops are they using? Does anyone know particular ratios of these hops used in dry-hop additions?

I've had Green and it's awesome. More of a Peach and Mango that Julius's pure citrus, with a MILD dankness. I made a NEIPA targeting Julius but got more of a Green/Julius hybrid. It was outstanding.
Here was my hops bill (4 gal batch):
1 oz Simcoe - 15 min boil
1 oz Citra- 5 min boil
1 oz Mosaic - 0 min flameout
1 oz Citra dry hop - Day 3
1 oz Galaxy dry hop- Day 3
2 oz Citra dry hop - Day 6
2 oz Galaxy dry hop - - Day 6

Anyone got ideas as to why some NEIPAs can drop super clear?....

The hazy one was a sample pulled at day 7 and the clear one was pulled at day 22nd (12 days on carb).

The thing is, I used zero; finings, wort clarifiers, Irish moss, or wirlfloc. Just 1 tsp of ascorbic acid at 5 mins left in the boil. Conan yeast and about 4 lbs of flaked adjuncts... soooo, how the crap did it drop so damn clear???

IMG_8092.jpg

IMG_8093.jpg

The hazy one was a sample pulled at day 7 and the clear one was pulled at day 22nd (12 days on carb).

The thing is, I used zero; finings, wort clarifiers, Irish moss, or wirlfloc. Just 1 tsp of ascorbic acid at 5 mins left in the boil. Conan yeast and about 4 lbs of flaked adjuncts... soooo, how the crap did it drop so damn clear???

kegged or bottled?
how big of dry hop and what varietals?
What yeast?

Kegged. 4 oz dry hop with simcoe and Amarillo. Giga yeast Vermont IPA.

my first guess would be that a bigger dry hop would result in a longer-lasting cloudy beer for you if you are hoping for that. I am wondering as well if certain dry hops result in hazier beer, especially the newer, fruitier varieties. i usually use over 1 oz/gal. If you just want the cloudiness but are satisfied with the hopping level, you could add in 1 Tbs of white flour to the boil for the last 5 minutes or so. that should create a very intense, long-lasting haze that will have no detriment to beer flavor.

also, your first photo looks like it has a lot of large hop particles in it. all of that drops very fast and clears up the beer some. i wonder if crashing the beer down to near freezing and then carbonating vs doing both at the same time results in clarity/flavor differences as well? I usually crash first and then rack to the keg and carbonate. that gives me great results, but not with every yeast/hop combo.

there are a lot variables and it's hard to tell what goes on with some of the beers we do. it can be frustrating.

Yeah I don't care about haze much. I wouldn't intentionally put stuff in to make a hazy beer. Having a clear IPA on tap actually is kinda nice, as someone from the west coast.

I did contain my dry hops in a bag, since I didn't have my filter hooked up in my fermenter. The first photo tasted amazing and smelled like a glass of OJ. But it settled down a bit after 12 days in the keg, still tastes amazing. Just really confused as to what happened here.

did the flavor change as well?

It's probably not in your head. When commercial NEIPAs clear or semi-clear in the can, the mouthfeel and flavor changes dramatically. A quick shake before you drink it or a vigorous shake before you drink it the next day (depending on the beer) can bring back some or most of the the flavor and mouthfeel of some beers. I have noticed this a lot with many Tired Hands beers and it's not subtle. A lot of people claim that haze contributes nothing to the flavor or mouthfeel of a beer, but they are incorrect in my experience.

So what is everyone's view on hopstand hops? Is there a certain temperature you add them at?

I plan on adding a couple ounces at 190deg, and letting it sit for 30 minutes.

Sidenote.. very cool experiment on hopstand hops.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/05/02/hop-stand-vs-20-minute-boil-addition-exbeeriment-results/

I don't add above 170* bc even @ 180 you can get some isomerization. These NEIPA styles are great with low bitterness & with the large WP additions a high WP temp can pump up the IBU's easily. Most aroma compounds are easily volatilized at warmer temps so a lower WP temp should theoretically mitigate driving those flavors off; I also believe a long WP is counterproductive with that in mind

Tijuana what was the timing of your dry hops in relation to fermentation? Did you add one during active ferment?

Feedback on my NE IPA recipe? This is for a 3 gallon batch.

I didn't include dry hops in the screen shot (to be determined).

Am I too heavy handed on the 5 min and whirlpool additions? I assume taht IBU estimate is extremely high?

17265116_10158369061510114_374699524257900955_n.jpg

IMO, you are WAY too heavy on the 5 min and whirlpool additions. My last NEIPA had a 3 oz flameout addition (Azacca, Citra, Galaxy) with only one ounce actually boiled for 15 min (no 60 min boil) and I got WAY more bitterness than I intended.
Do NOT underestimate the bittering contribution of late additions. This style really needs no 60 min addition if your intent is to keep the normal low bitterness (but bitter away, if you like!).

Feedback on my NE IPA recipe? This is for a 3 gallon batch.

I didn't include dry hops in the screen shot (to be determined).

Am I too heavy handed on the 5 min and whirlpool additions? I assume taht IBU estimate is extremely high?

17265116_10158369061510114_374699524257900955_n.jpg

i'd drop the 60 min addn as well

So what is everyone's view on hopstand hops? Is there a certain temperature you add them at?

I plan on adding a couple ounces at 190deg, and letting it sit for 30 minutes.

Sidenote.. very cool experiment on hopstand hops.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/05/02/hop-stand-vs-20-minute-boil-addition-exbeeriment-results/

I bought into the whole pre-chill too. I think it's BS. Maybe with a select few hop strains, but book ending works fine. What I'd be more interested in is the hop additions prior to KO. Also, take the brulosophy results with a grain of salt.

Tijuana what was the timing of your dry hops in relation to fermentation? Did you add one during active ferment?

Dry hop was 4 oz for 4 gallons at day 4 into primary. Next time I'll dry hop twice, once at pitch and second for only 2 days near FG. 🍻

Yeah, whirlpool hopping is overrated and unnecessary.
Too much trouble with no benefit that can't be gained through simpler methods.

really? just tried my first 90-min whirlpool and was looking forward to the results. i've done no whirlpool to 90-min whirlpool now, no kettle hops to hop bursting. I still am on the fence about what gives the ultimate flavor. I have done beers with large whirlpool that have been mediocre to great. I have done beers with no dry hop to massive dry hop that were great. It's hard to make definitive statements comparing different techniques with so many variables it seems. I KNOW that dry-hop only, hop-stand only and hop-bursted beers can all have incredible hop flavor, so that complicates matters if nothing else does!

Back