Manny's Pale Ale Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthwestBrewman2013

Reaction score
Manny's Pale Ale has always been a liquid unicorn where I live, even though it's in fairly close proximity. Kinda like Barley Browns Pallet Jack IPA. I've become a big fan of it and wanted to clone it. Finally, I've gotten around to posting my results. After a bit of research and recipe making I finalized what I was going to do and had my brew day with the following:

Manny's Pale Ale Clone
OG - 1055
FG - 1012
IBU - 32
SRM - 10.76

Mash at 153 degrees

5.5 gallon All-Grain

9lbs - Two Row
2lbs - Crystal 40
1lbs - Carapils

0.65 Summit @FWH
0.5oz Cascade @15
0.25oz Cascade @5
0.25oz Cascade @2

Wyeast - Thames Valley Ale 1275

Ferment at 67 degrees

This beer went from grain to glass in 4.5 weeks. Finished out with minimal dryness, big malt backbone and light hoppiness. Hop flavors give normal Cascade citrus flavor/aroma but the Summit gives a tangerine note to the beer that is intoxicating. Even at the FWH addition.

All in all, this brew ended up being spot on with the color to Manny's, very close in the hop department (I personally would add another quarter ounce to the 5 min addition for a little more flavor), darn near perfect with maltyness, and cloudy just like the research I did suggested. I would certainly recommend this beer clone to anyone who wants an easy drinking, high flavor, pale ale.

Enjoy!

Our recipes are so close.

----
9.25 Kg Pale 2-row
0.5 Kg Carapils
1.0 Kg Caramel Malt - 60L

0.8 oz Summit (Hop Union) [17.5%] - Boil 60 min
1.0 oz Cascade (Hop Union) [5.5%] - Boil 15 min
2.0 oz Cascade (Hop Union) [5.5%] - Boil 5 min
2.0 oz Cascade (Hop Union) [5.5%] - Dry Hop 7 days

1 pkg Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) w/ Starter

Mash at 152F. Mash out at 168F. This recipe is based upon 65% efficiency and batch sparging, 51L pre-boil and 42L to the fermenter - adjust for your own brewery. 65F ferment with diacetyl rest at 70F for last 2 points of gravity. Dry hop in secondary at 70F and age cold in keg for 2-3 weeks before tapping.
----

Heck yeah! I debated for a while on whether or not to use Crystal 60 or Crystal 40. I'm glad I chose the 40. I felt like the darker malt would have overwhelmed the light hoppiness.

I'm curious, though, how did your's turn out in the flavor/color department?

The brewery uses C60 so that's what I use. Like you, I usually prefer to use a lighter crystal in my hoppy beers (3-5%) to help to let the hops shine. This is an old skool brew so I go 10% crystal. The resulting color is not too dark. More importantly, the malt flavor is the same but my hops are initially a little bright because I stack em up against the heavy crystal addition. They soften up after a few weeks in the keg before tapping it. It's unconfirmed but I believe the brewery ages this 2-3 weeks before sending it out. This is pretty close to the real deal but my body is a little lighter than Manny's so I'd possibly up the mash temp 1-2°.

The website now posts the details. For what it's worth,

Malts - 2 Row Pale, Caramel
Hops - Summit, Cascade
Yeast - English Ale
OG - 1.051
TG - 1.009
ABV - 5.4%
IBU - 38

This is exactly what I’m looking for. Did you re-try with this info from the brewery? If I weren’t to use carapils should I compensate with more 2 row or split the difference? About to secondary a Lucille clone. Thanks!

No, I haven't brewed this one in a while. I just posted the updated info from the website.

I doubt that removing the carapils will change the results much, so long as you otherwise brew the recipe as written. Adjust the base malt and the 60 Min hops to hit the targets and let us know how you made out.

Cheers

No, I haven't brewed this one in a while. I just posted the updated info from the website.

I doubt that removing the carapils will change the results much, so long as you otherwise brew the recipe as written. Adjust the base malt and the 60 Min hops to hit the targets and let us know how you made out.

Cheers
Thank you. I just played around with it in a calculator to adjust for 3 gallons with BIAB style. On paper it hits the target. I sure will update when I get one of the fermenters freed up. Thanks again.

Oh wow! Thank you so much for posting this. I moved away from Seattle 6 years ago and Manny’s was my favorite local beer I have been wanting to brew it for some time and funny enough, looking back I did my homework about 2 years ago and came up with a since misplaced clone that mimics, to an extent, the two that you guys posted here. Now I gotta make this. Again, thanks.

Back