Trapping aroma/capping with airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkm

Reaction score
Anybody ever thought about using the slight hydrostatic pressure of the liquid in the airlock to trap aroma compounds at the end of fermentation? It I would be tiny, but you think that 1inch hydrostatic pressure could make a difference? I've taken to filling my airlock up at the end of fermentation. I'm sure I'm crazy, but it's worth a shot. On a beer like a triple where I want all those good esters I'll delude myself into thinking that every little thing will help.

Just looked up the pressure created by 1inch of water: .04 psi
Yep. I'm crazy. :)
Maybe I could fill my airlock with mercury....

There are a couple threads about people who ferment in kegs under pressure (like 5 psi) on the forum. I'm not sure if they have commented about ester retention.

If you want something denser in the airlock, try some honey. That should give you a little more back pressure

fermenting under pressure will reduce the yeasts ester production. Trapping dissolved co2 at the end of fermentation may help retain aroma but I think you'd have to be very careful during transfers. With an open transfer there is so much movement that dissolved co2 will be escaping. Maybe if you had a way to transfer in a closed system under pressure.

Back