Transplating new rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hounds

Reaction score
I searched but didn't find exact same question(s) so here goes.

I have 2nd year plants and want to make new plants from these. SHould I wait til 3rd year? Is that necessary?

And where exactly do I take them from? Deeper? OR can I take them off of branched out bines lying in the surface soil (1-2" under the surface)?

I have been told to leave any new growth after they start budding and see several that I normally would have cut back already shooting out and away from main 3 bines.

OR do I want to dig down deeper to where I planted the original rhizome? 4" maybe? Does the original rhizome grow latterally and get bigger with offshoots of roots?

A little confused as to what I would cut off for a new plant is all.

And here we have horrible soil so my plants are grown in 2ft deep by 2 feet wide circles with good soil. Is id adviseable to go digging around the rhizomes in the late Fall and replace soil often? or how long does that soil 'last" if you will?

Thanks

Yes, taking a shoot that formed away from the main mass is ok. They do not root very deep, so the branched off bines are ok. I usually just sever the runners with a spade. Yes, the original rhizome will grow laterally. Do not worry about damaging the original rhizome if you are 8 inches away from it.

You can also root clippings. I cut the clippings after 2 leaf sets and the bottom is below the third set, which I remove the leaves. That node will seal the clipping and roots will form above it. You don't want too many leaves on each clipping. You can use a bucket with 4 inches of water or a beer bottle. They take about 2 weeks to start rooting.

You can fertilize any time, but make sure that it does not have any weed killer in it. Frequent feedings are better than a dump.

I'll second what Brent said, but also don't stress over what you do too much. They are pretty hearty plants.

Semi off topic example: Hi Brent! Here's a picture of the Centennial you gave me a few years back. I left it in a pot under some trees for a year and pretty much neglected it. Little to no water, or a rope to climb.:( I can be lazy. :eek: It kept coming back though, so I figured I should give it a real pot. So the plant on the right is a sort-of first year Centennial. It's doing well and I expect hops from it by the end of the year.
0704121323.jpg

Back