Transplanting hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swingwrecker42

Reaction score
Ok, so I know this is a long shot. I've already done some research and I know December/January is definitely not the ideal time to propagate your hops, but I am moving to a new house soon and didn't see this coming during a more appropriate time of the year.

Is there any way that might be able to dig up some rhizomes from my hops and keep them viable until things warm up in late March or early April? Could I plant them in a pot in the mean time? Or am I out of luck and just need to plan to get new hops planted in the spring?

Unless the ground is frozen, perfect time to do what you’re suggesting. Pot the rhizomes using the soil they’re already in/conditioned to. Pots are probably the best option. Keep them outside/cool, but protect from frosts, now they’re above ground. Water very occasionally, if they’re sheltered from rain, just to stop them drying out.

Unless the ground is frozen, perfect time to do what you’re suggesting. Pot the rhizomes using the soil they’re already in/conditioned to. Pots are probably the best option. Keep them outside/cool, but protect from frosts, now they’re above ground. Water very occasionally, if they’re sheltered from rain, just to stop them drying out.
Thanks! I'll grab a couple pots and keep them in my insulated, but unheated garage until I have the new space ready. If I remember several months from now I'll post an update with the results.

Latest posts

Back