Seeds present in only one plant's cones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanobrau

Tiny tiny batches
Reaction score
I have 7 bines of varying varieties. The cones from 6 of them are normal (without seeds), which tells me there is no male plant nearby. However, my Saaz-72 has some seeds in nearly all of the cones. The plant had minor stress this season, but otherwise appears healthy.

Are hops known to throw sterile seeds when stressed? Especially Saaz types?

Is it possible the seeds are viable? Should I plant them just to see, or is this a waste of time?

Yes, hop plants may produce (sterile) seeds when stressed

Do you have the source for that statement? I've seen it stated that some females may put out some male bloom if stressed but never actually seen any info stating that females can make sterile seeds when stressed?

I have 7 bines of varying varieties. The cones from 6 of them are normal (without seeds), which tells me there is no male plant nearby.
It doesn't tell you for certain that there's no male nearby, just that 6 of them didn't fertilise for whatever reason....
Is it possible the seeds are viable? Should I plant them just to see, or is this a waste of time?
Probably, but you never know, it doesn't take much effort to sow some seed....

Do you have the source for that statement? I've seen it stated that some females may put out some male bloom if stressed but never actually seen any info stating that females can make sterile seeds when stressed?
In general it's moderately common for plants of many species to produce unfertilised seeds in certain conditions, and I've certainly heard of hops doing it, although obviously it's a bit different here in the UK where seeded hops are "normal" to use the OP's phrase.

Back