Transferring and saving cultures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feurhund

Reaction score
Advice please..

I have six (5 gallon) carboys with various bugs and they are now over 24 months old.

I have patiently left them undisturbed, which is easy with two young kids and a basement.

My plan is to transfer all to corny kegs to minimize O2 exposure and then sample and test blends from the cornys. I will then bottle some plain, blended and straight, and some will go back to the cleaned glass carboys on various fruits.

My question is:

If one blend was great, do I have to save the bottom of the carboy after transfer, or would a bottle or two from the corny work to inoculate another batch?

Should I try to preserve the bottom of the carboy in a Mason jar? Or will it transfer bad stuff from the pellicle remnants?

Thanks for the input in advance! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407851444.309383.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If one blend was great, do I have to save the bottom of the carboy after transfer, or would a bottle or two from the corny work to inoculate another batch?
if the blend is great, it was made great by its component parts - which were created separately for 24 months, then blended. so adding the dregs from the blended result will likely not yield the same thing. for example, part A might have contributed a flavor because a certain bug had the space to express itself, however part B had different bugs that might suppress that flavor-producer in A. so pitching A + B dregs might not yield that same blend.

if you want the same blend, you need to recreate the separate parts... and then blend them.

Should I try to preserve the bottom of the carboy in a Mason jar? Or will it transfer bad stuff from the pellicle remnants?
i've never heard, or experienced, "bad stuff from the pellicle remnants". i would wash (rinse) that stuff at the bottom of the carboy and keep it.

Thanks for the feedback.

I will just save the cakes in Mason jars for future pitching, understanding no two pitches are the same with sours.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back