Transfering Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkgohan

Reaction score
I am new here,looked for an answer but found none. I need advice on a simple 120 volt pump to move wine from one carboy to another. I want to work on a level bench,but may occasionally need to pump up 4-5 feet. This has to suck out of one,I guess that means self priming?
Too much confusion in my search's on the term self priming. Is there one that I just put the hose into the wine in the carboy and it will start pumping to the other carboy?
Lordy lordy so many questions. Thanks in advance to those who can appreciate a novice and his questions.

I use a racking cane to siphon from one carboy to another. One on the counter and the other on the floor. Easier to keep from siphoning sediment into the clean carboy. Can't remember what it is called, but mine has a pumping action that starts the siphoning.

Or you can raid a pump from an old camper trailer. Be warned this does high volume (for our purposes ) at a decent pressure. They are made so you can take a shower......

Hmmmm! Yes I don't know,this is why I came here. Too see what the consensus from others is. Thank you dark....

Hmmmm! Yes I don't know,this is why I came here. Too see what the consensus from others is. Thank you dark....

Lots to think about, and the price for some pumps is great. But maybe it's not the best choice for what you need it to do, so it pays to really look at what will be best for you.

Back