Transfer from Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdog

Reaction score
When the wort is transfered from the boiling kettle to the fermenter bucket, do you guys transfer the trub also or filter it out?

Transfer as much of the wort as you can and as little of the trub as possible.

I find that hop pellets are a pain, but if you can use whole hops, you'll have less trouble racking from your brew pot to your fermentor.

I have seen a few posts on here where people transfer everything and let it settle out later. I just did this the other day so we will see what happens.

With a bucket you can get a 5 gallon paint strainer from the hardware store, sanitize it, and pour everything into fermenter. Then remove strainer and tada, no nasties in the fermenter. You can also leave everything in there, but it takes up valuable fermenting space.

I bought a big a$$ strainer at GFS and run the cooled wort through that. It removes all of the hops, pellets or whole, and most of the trub. I've dumped it all in before too. I don't have an opinion either way about which is better. Good beer has been the outcome using either process.

you can do either, I siphon from kettle to primary when I use carboys, and I just try to be careful, there isn't anything beneficial in the trub, so I try to leave it behind. If I'm transferring to a bucket I use a strainer. I've had homebrews that sat on the trub during primary without a secondary and they tasted ok to me...

I usually use a stainless steel strainer to get the larger pieces and to help with aeration, but I haven't noticed any difference to the taste of the beer if I don't.

I've read that the trub does add some yeast nutrients, so it actually might be beneficial to get some of it in there. It will settle out and I don't think it affects the taste of the beer anyway.

Well after dumping all the trub into the fermenter on last Sundays batch I read in Palmers book yesterday(after the fact naturally) It is a good idea to remove the hot break (or the break in general) from the wort before fermenting. The hot break consists of various proteins and fatty acids that can cause off flavors, although a moderate amount of hot break can go unnoticed in most beers. Although after reading through several posts today it seems the general consensus is there isn't a lot of difference either way. I suppose it may depend on the style or other variables but I guess I'll just have to wait and see at this point.

Back