Trading dregs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll be drinking this, this weekend and getting the dregs spinning. I’ll have a P1 midweek next week and then I’ll split to a P2 if anyone is interested

IMG_4314.JPG

Just got an interesting response from New Belgium.

La Folie is flash pasteurized after aging which I assumes renders the yeast useless.

Then the stupid boilerplate bullspit about how they don't pasteurize all their beers but their process is proprietary blah blah blah.

Speaking of pasteurized, my culturing of New Holland's Sour Inc Blue Monday dregs was unsuccessful.
Couldn't find any info about it on the web so I gave it a try.

Just got an interesting response from New Belgium.

La Folie is flash pasteurized after aging which I assumes renders the yeast useless.

Then the stupid boilerplate bullspit about how they don't pasteurize all their beers but their process is proprietary blah blah blah.

Lauren Salazar their sour program manager says on multiple podcasts that they pasteurize almost all of their wild stuff. For safety and to “lock in the profile” I feel like it’s also to protect their bugs.

Speaking of pasteurized, my culturing of New Holland's Sour Inc Blue Monday dregs was unsuccessful.
Couldn't find any info about it on the web so I gave it a try.

New Holland definitely pasteurizes anything that touches wood too (including Dragon's Milk and Blue Sunday); it is done to "lock in the profile" as @Sandstorm suggests New Belgium does as well.

As stated lots of times, corked and caged La Folie (and other New Belgium sours) are not pasteurized. Those bottles with crowns are.

I have a bottle of Felix and Oscar that I recently got from their Asheville brewery. I should be cracking at least one of them soon. They are corked and caged so I will try to culture them up

Those should work - I was told by NB this spring that they simply don't have the capacity to pasteurize the C&C bottles. It was a thread on the MTF FB, if anybody wanted to get the actual answer.

Not a fan of those bull-nosed bottles though...

I have some good activity from my Jester King and Burial dregs. Might need another week but if there is interest let me know

Ha! Just in Tennessee so not too bad. I need to work on some culturing procedures. I have Jolly Pumpkin, Jester King, Wicked Weed, Burial, The Vail, Yazoo, Russian River, Alligash, Odd Story, West 6th, Mantra, Cigar City and a few others. I travel a ton for work so I always try to grab a few local bottles when I can.

What part of Tennessee?
I live in North Alabama and have several sour projects going, in oak barrels as well as in stainless vessels that I would like to share with someone that appreciates sours.

I have plenty of Jester King (originally from Detritovore) if anyone needs/wants to trade something.

What part of Tennessee?
I live in North Alabama and have several sour projects going, in oak barrels as well as in stainless vessels that I would like to share with someone that appreciates sours.

Nashville, so probably not too far away. I would love to try some of your sours! I have made many a Brett beer and have started three long term sour projects this year.

Last edited:
I've been busy removing beer from the top of dregs and have a couple cultures ready to go to whomever might be interested to trade.
1. Jolly Pumpkin from Bam Biere. Really, there's little reason to drink anything else.
2. Starkeller (Schell's Brewing) Noble Star Series. Heard on the Berliner Weiss MTF Podcast episode that this is among the closest examples to Classic Berliner in North America (and it's in my backyard!). This was built up from a beer aged on blackberries, so it's purple.
3. New Belgium Le Terroir. These dregs took off like gangbusters when added to fresh wort. There must be some good Sacch in there too.

More to come, including some spontaneous ferment bugs from Speciation.

Got my Jester King dregs, but am still looking for the big Belgians (Cantillon and 3 Fonteinen), Russian River, or anything else interesting.

Back