Tröegs Dreamweaver Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a recipe, but I would suggest using WB-06 dry yeast for this beer. This isn't a very estery beer and the wheats I've made with this yeast have tasted eerily close to DWW.

Using Troeg's website:

Alcohol by Volume: 4.8%
Hop Bitterness (IBU's): 15
Color (SRM): Golden, Cloudy
Availability: Year Round
Malts: Pilsner, Vienna
Wheat: 35% Wheat
Hops: Saaz
Yeast: German Wheat

...and Beertools... I'd wager you can come close... I got close to Mad Elf using this process.

EDIT: for example.....

4 lbs. German 2-row Pils
3 lbs. German Vienna
3 lbs. German Wheat Malt Light
.5 oz. Saaz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
Yeast : White Labs WLP300 Hefewizen Ale

Original Gravity 1.049
Terminal Gravity 1.012
Color 3.98 °SRM
Bitterness 13.0 IBU
Alcohol (%volume) 4.9 %

I've got an extract wheat that I bottled 2 moz ago that tastes like a way more clovey version of Dreamweaver. I'm not a fan... ...and I used WB-06. I'm hoping it mellows out with some time.

Just read a BYO article from Troegs about wheats and dreamweaver. Specificaly towards dreamweaver, they say to use white wheat, underaerate (2-3ppm), pitching at 60F and fermentating at 68-70F. In general, they also mention using a high mash pH of 5.7-5.8 and a low mash-in temp of 95-100F followed by a 10min rest at 108F to improve phenolic flavors.

Anybody feel like converting that recipe above to an extract with grains equivalent? Real quick?

Thanks

technically you'd be partial mashing if you did it since all of those grains require mashing.
if you wanted to go all extract, this would get you pretty close:
3lbs wheat dme
3.3lbs munich lme

if you wanted to partial mash, something like this:
3lbs wheat dme
1lb extra light dme or 2lbs pilsner malt
3lbs vienna malt

I'm a big fan of Troegs in general. Every single beer I've tried from them has been a pleasant surprise.

Has anyone tried to harvest the wheat from the Dreamweaver bottle? How did it turn out?

Just updating this thread because I am thinking about cloning this. Looked at the website and it says 55% wheat grainbill with Pilsner and Vienna, 4.8% ABV, German Northern Brewer hops, and German Wheat yeast. That is a bit different from what had been on this thread earlier. Here is what I come up with for a clone recipe using Brewersfriend (I had to substitute American Northern Brewer).

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Troegs Dreamweaver Wheat Clone

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Weizen/Weissbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5.3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.047
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.049
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 4.73%
IBU (tinseth): 16.31
SRM (morey): 4.22

FERMENTABLES:
3.18 lb - German - Pilsner (35%)
5 lb - American - White Wheat (55%)
0.91 lb - American - Vienna (10%)

HOPS:
0.45 oz - Northern Brewer, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.8, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 13.76
0.23 oz - Northern Brewer, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.8, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 2.55

YEAST:
Wyeast - German Wheat 3333
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 73%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 63 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2016-03-01 00:35 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2016-03-01 00:35 UTC

Are you going to give this a shot and report back? Thinking about loading your version in Beersmith and see what It gives me.

Haven't tried it yet but it is in my queue. I really liked the commercial version. I think it would make an excellent summer beer. My plan was to harvest the yeast from the bottle dregs but I could not get it going, so I need to wait until I can get my hands on a German wheat yeast.

Sweet, I loaded this in Beersmith and plan on giving it a shot, but have 8-10 brew in front of it. I'll definitely report back with my progress. I live about 30 minutes from Troegs, but it would still be ice to try and get in the ballpark with this. Local folklore says this yeast strain was given to them from a Brewer while they were studying brewing in Germany.

I made a clone batch but decocted it and while the color was a little light, the taste was EXACTLY the same. I know Troeg's does not decoct - hence the reason for the Vienna...apparently its around 10% of the grain bill...key is to only use german malts for this style

Back