Tower cooler fan and elec help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpionc53

Reaction score
I currently have an old computer fan on the bottom ledge of my kegerator helping with air circulation inside. I would like to purchase another fan, build a tower cooler from a hobby box, tie the 2 fans together with 1 plug, and call it a day. I've attached a pic of what I'd like to do. I want to get a DC fan for the tower because I currently have a battery operated fan that's designed to wear around your neck and blow cool air to your face. Here's the questions:

- I see everyone saying there's links to how to build the cooler from hobby boxes from Radio shack, but can't find links to a build. Most people are posting links to other peoples installations. Do I install the fan onto the box, wire it up, cut a separate hole anywhere in the hobby box for the tubing and that's it? Maybe I'm not going deep enough into the forums. I have a 120mm fan.
- Speaking of wiring, in my picture attached, you'll see that my fans came with a 3 pin plug adapter. How do I determine which is +/- and other?
- Also on wiring once I figure out the +/- on the fans, can I just splice all the plus wires(DC adapter(+), 2 (+) wires from fans) together? Same for the negative? I'm a mechanical guy, so I'd find some way to build a power header manifold. The fans do have 2 built in LED's so maybe the extra wire is for that? I figured LEDs wouldn't create much heat or enough to matter but would give a nice glow when friends want to see the keg.
- My DC adapter is 12VDC 1A and each fan is 12VDC .35A. I'm assuming I can tie them both into the same power adapter?

Any and all help is appreciated as always.

image-3606092574.jpg

Alrighty, so only after finally posting this, did I start to find some builds. It looks like I may need to buy some smaller fans. I found a pretty good build page, but I'm still confused on the 3 wires from the fans. I know that I can tie 2 fans to 1 power supply as long as the addition of the amps of the 2 fans doesn't exceed the total amps from the power supply. But like I said, still stumped with the 3 pin connection wire coming from the fan. My current fan doesn't have that, only a + and a - wire. Suggestions?

Also, in post 4 of the link below, the person used a really thick tube and tied the beer line into it, not leaving room for air to return from the tower. Is this an acceptable way of doing it, or should I leave the beer tube in the tower separate from the cooling tube, and leave enough airspace for air to return?
http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-...home/6397-keg-fans-electrically-impaired.html

Looking at your photos, your fan came with a 3 wire plug and also an adapter that has 2 wires. Use the adapter to determine positive and negative, get it wrong, the fan spins backwards. The 3rd wire is used for pulse width modulation when plugged into the motherboard of a computer. Basically it allows the computer to throttle the fan based on load. You dont need the 3rd wire for your tower cooler, so just disregard it.

Yes, I used a hobby box, mounted my fan inside, and then drilled a hole out of the box for the hose leading up to the tower. I'm sure there is some aerodynamic theory involved in placing the cooling hose, but I just chose a convenient place, knowing that the hobby box will be pressurized and some air will find its way out the hose regardless. I also installed a switch on my hobby box so I could turn it off if I needed to.

- Also on wiring once I figure out the +/- on the fans, can I just splice all the plus wires(DC adapter(+), 2 (+) wires from fans) together? Same for the negative? I'm a mechanical guy, so I'd find some way to build a power header manifold.

Yes, this sounds correct. Wire both fans in parallel. :mug:

Back