Top for Better Bottle???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thdewitt

Reaction score
better bottle.jpeg

Hello all, I purchased the 5 gallon carboy hood above to put on my Better Bottle to attach a blow off hose. This does not seem to fit. Can anyone tell me if they have found a good way to close up their better bottle during fermentation. Stopper with airlock? Hood? How do you accomplish blow off??? I have only used glass carboys in the past and I do not seem to have the right fittings. I had to attach a zip tie around the carboy hood to keep it snug and not leak air.

Thanks,
Tom :drunk:

Try soaking that carboy cap in some hot water and it should stretch over the mouth of the BB.

Typically, I use either a loose cap of sanitized aluminum foil or a #10 stopper with a 3-piece airlock.

I have 3 of those orange stoppers. One fits snug and doesn't leak. I took 3-4 rubber bands and put them around the bottom of the other two to make a tight seal. I've reused them without taking the rubber bands off, and haven't had any problems with leaking.

You have the correct cap. If it doesn't fit tightly, wrap a rubber band or ponytail holder around its base, and you'll get a very good seal.

If you intend on using a blow-off then I would get a drilled #10 stopper and force some of my racking tubing in the hole. Made a nice seal for me, and no blow-off splatter. :rockin:

Back