Is my mead okay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bossrollup

Reaction score
I just started fermenting my first batch of mead. I am using a gallon carboy with a rubber stopper and airlock I found off Amazon. In my impatience I went to check on the fermentation process and noticed that the stopper had backed out of the bottle somewhat and I think it was exposed to air overnight, I caught it within 24 hrs and out a new stopper in that seems to be holding and I can see bubbles escaping through the airlock. I am wondering if the exposure to air will have any effect on this batch?

I doubt it. So many people repeat the word "oxidation" like it's some holy word that, if they know the word, it will make their brew awesome. It will be fine. I've never oxidized my beer or wine, and I'm an ogre when it comes to technique. I'm not saying oxidation isn't a real thing. It is, but it takes more than most people believe. It's more of a threat to really hoppy beers than it is to mead or wine in the early stages, especially in the first 24 hours.

I don’t even use an airlock on my mead for the first week given how much it is off gassing and that I use a wine whip and stir every couple days when I add the staggered nutrients.

Latest posts

Back