Took OG reading after boil and not before...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxNative

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
And now I have absolutely no idea what my efficiency was, I was using BIAB and I decided to sparge and double crush the grains just to really boost the efficiency I now don't get to figure out. Gotta love the learning curve...

9460%20-%20armageddon%20beer%20facepalm%20tim_white%20wwe.png

You should've taken a pre boil gravity that will give you your efficiency what u took is your OG. You can still tell how your eficiency was, were you higher or lower than projected og and did u mix the wort well when u took the reading otherwise all the sugary stuff drops and the thinner wort is left at the top of the pot which will throw your readings off c

Dang, sounds like I really didn't go about it right then ha.

OG was 1.057 the recipe called for it being 1.058. I did not mix the wort well as I took the reading though, so that could be a skewed result.

If you have the pre-boil volume after the bag was removed and drained and a post-boil volume you can back calculate (using your OG) the pre-boil SG and then calculate efficiency.

Dang, sounds like I really didn't go about it right then ha.

OG was 1.057 the recipe called for it being 1.058. I did not mix the wort well as I took the reading though, so that could be a skewed result.

It's ok u basically hit your numbers .1 point is no big deal. What efficiency were you targeted for, whatever it is you hit it judging by your OG. If you were way low than I'd say your efficiency was under but again you basically hit your numbers. I don't sweat 1 or even 2 points anymore as it won't really make a real diff in your final abv anyway. All efficiency is is the fact you buy less grains hitting the numbers is far more important to me anyway.

Cool deal, appreciate the insight there. Still very new to all of this, the current batch this post is about is only the second one under my belt. I'll be sure to take the specific gravity before boil next brew day. Should be this weekend or next.

If you know your volume after the boil and the OG, you can calculate the brewhouse efficiency. If you dumped in all the wort collected into the fermenter so you don't have any kettle loss your brewhouse efficiency and your mash efficiency should be about the same. If you left some trub in the kettle, then your brewhouse efficiency will be lower than your mash efficiency.

Mash efficiency measures how much sugars you collected compared with the total possible with the grains you used. It will always be less than 100% because you cannot (in normal methods) get out all the sugars because some will still be in the grain particles.

Brewhouse efficiency measures how much of the possible sugars actually made it to the fermenter.

Thanks, @RM-MN that clears things up a lot.

Someone had told me that if I take my post boil volume (3.5) and divide it by my pre boil volume (4) and then multiply by my OG that will give me a close approx. Is that correct? I did the math and it a lot higher than I would have expected.

And I transferred all of my trub to the fermenter, did a bunch of reading about whether or not to and it seemed like the majority thought it best to just put it all in there.

@RM-MN What he had said to do, in order to approximate efficiency without having a pre boil gravity reading, is to take pre/post volume multiplied by OG.

1.057x(3.5/4) = .924875 And 92 percent seems super high.

Im not sure what you mean by 1.0507 or 1.051, is that an estimate of what my pre boil gravity was?

Back