took just a taste after in primary a week..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyWalker

Reaction score
my brew has been in primary a week and i decided to take a small taste.. and it had a "soapy" taste to it.. so prior to starting a new thread i searched around and tried to see why this is... the john palmer website said that the soapy flavor can come from the breakdown of fatty acids which gives a soap flavor, but this normally occurs when left in primary too long...its been a week so i am ruling that out

then i searched this forum and in a post awhile back someone said that a soapy taste can come from having too high of temp while fermenting and the yeast "explode" and release a fat that will give off this taste...i couldnt find anymore information confirming whether or not this is true

its has been HOT here lately and ive done my best to keep my brew sub 70, but im sure it has probably been mid 70s at some point

can this be the cause? will the taste go away if conditioned longer in the bottle?

thanks guys in advance for the help

Nothing wrong with using soap for cleaning, you just have to be thorough on the rinsing.

Unless you've got a lot of experience with that particular recipe and tasting a sample from the fermentor after 1 week, don't get all wound up and worried about it just yet. Let the beer finish.

I had a beer that tasted great during gravity sample readings, then I dry hopped the snot out of it and it had a bit of a soapy edge. There are so many variables in beer its sometimes impossible to nail it down to one thing. Especially since us homebrewers are brewing a different recipe pretty much every time, and it takes time to develop a consistent and repeatable process.

I had the same problem with my citrus hefe I brewed. When I went to bottle after about 2 1/2 weeks in the primary, I sampled and it had a strong soap taste.

I thought maybe it was because SWMBO washed my primary out with dawn, even though I re rinsed with oxyclean and star san. Bottled anyways, and now, its one of the better brews I've made so far.

I'd say wait it out, it should mellow.

I'd say there's nothing wrong with using soap for cleaning depending on the soap. Some soaps leave more residual deposits than others, and for some it's dang near impossible to rinse them away.

In any case, give it some time and see if it mellows out, as others have said. In the future, it's worth it to use PBW, OxyClean, or some generic sodium percarbonate cleaner (I use "Sun Oxygen Cleaner" from Dollar General) to clean your equipment instead of soap (unless you are cleaning aluminum, non-stainless steel, teflon coated stuff, or really anything that rusts). It's less work, too. I just let my stuff soak in it for hour, rinse off, and it's good to go.

while soap may be the culprit...take your tasting samples with a grain of salt. This is the point where the beer is changing so much. It may taste soapy now but like liquid gold later on.

For me I tend to sample less and less just because I get so wound up if it doesn't normal. The reality of is it usually turns out fantastic sooner or later.

I use dish soap to clean my stuff and I've never had any soapy tastes yet (fingers crossed). I rinse it really well...

You're freaking out way too early in the process. The taste in primary for one week is rarely what it'll taste like in the end. My stouts are the only beers that taste somewhat good after primary. That soapy taste could simply be your interpretation of the flat mouthfeel that comes without carbonation.

You're freaking out way too early in the process. The taste in primary for one week is rarely what it'll taste like in the end. My stouts are the only beers that taste somewhat good after primary. That soapy taste could simply be your interpretation of the flat mouthfeel that comes without carbonation.
i wouldnt say im freaking out, im just new to much of this and trying to learn what is happening in each stage. i guess my main question was since my fermenting temps have not be "perfect" so far, is that the reason it tastes this way, or is it just green? by the replies so far, it seems its jsut green

thanks for the replies guys.. im gonna go buy another carboy and do another batch of a belgian that can ferment at a little bit high temps this next week.. ahh this california weather! :D

i wouldnt say im freaking out, im just new to much of this and trying to learn what is happening in each stage. i guess my main question was since my fermenting temps have not be "perfect" so far, is that the reason it tastes this way, or is it just green? by the replies so far, it seems its jsut green

thanks for the replies guys.. im gonna go buy another carboy and do another batch of a belgian that can ferment at a little bit high temps this next week.. ahh this california weather! :D

Just meant it figuratively, nothing personal.

It's great to understand what's happening, but if it breeds concern, then it's detrimental to your health and the beer making process. I spent countless hours on my first batch looking at Palmer's off-flavor chart only to find out that it was pointless. Maybe your beer will fail, most likely it won't. What's certain is that at this stage, you really can't predict or expect anything. The flavors and off-flavors are only meaningful if you can truly identify these things in your palette (I cannot). Things like the pH of your beer can affect what it tastes like. Carbonation (carbonic acid) can sharpen flavors and make it taste completely different. And what tastes "apple-y" or "butterscotch-y" to someone may actually taste like something else to your or I. That takes time and experience to develop and acquire that palette.

Temperature control is pretty important, don't get me wrong. Temperature control will allow you to attenuate your yeast properly and produce consistent batches of beer. Unless your keeping that carboy outside in the middle of the summer, I can't imagine you're going to be so far off as to cause unwanted esters.

Please let us know how everything turns out!

Just meant it figuratively, nothing personal.

It's great to understand what's happening, but if it breeds concern, then it's detrimental to your health and the beer making process. I spent countless hours on my first batch looking at Palmer's off-flavor chart only to find out that it was pointless. Maybe your beer will fail, most likely it won't. What's certain is that at this stage, you really can't predict or expect anything. The flavors and off-flavors are only meaningful if you can truly identify these things in your palette (I cannot). Things like the pH of your beer can affect what it tastes like. Carbonation (carbonic acid) can sharpen flavors and make it taste completely different. And what tastes "apple-y" or "butterscotch-y" to someone may actually taste like something else to your or I. That takes time and experience to develop and acquire that palette.

Temperature control is pretty important, don't get me wrong. Temperature control will allow you to attenuate your yeast properly and produce consistent batches of beer. Unless your keeping that carboy outside in the middle of the summer, I can't imagine you're going to be so far off as to cause unwanted esters.

Please let us know how everything turns out!

thank you.. that was exactly what i needed to hear... in the process of getting a fridge and the temp. control so i can have a fermenting chamber

Back