Too sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhansman

Reaction score
Second batch - did a Drakes IPA clone. Man, seems like I got the boil, hop additions right. 2 weeks in primary, one week dry hopping in secondary. Kegged it, got the carbonation right (that's one out of 2 times), and it's sweet. The hops taste right, and the couple guys I've shared it with love it, but it's not right. Too sweet. Beginning and ending gravities were both right on. The one thing I don't know for sure is the temp of the fermentation. I put it in a 'cold' closet, but I live in California, so maybe not cold enough?

Have you tried Calibrating your hydrometer in water to see if it reads 1.000? It could be that it's off by a few gravity points and your fg was actually higher.

Just did - 1.000

That was my first thought - left too much sugar in it, but again, it fermented for 3 weeks and the specific gravities were good

I've heard (possibly incorrectly) that Drake's started to Burtonize their water for the IPA. So if you're comparing your beer with theirs and it tastes sweeter comparatively, water could be the issue.

I was thinking the temp might've been too low myself. That can cause under-attenuation issues, making the beer sweeter than normal.

It sounds like a recipe issue. If a finished beer is too sweet, often it's because it's underbittered.

I'm guessing that this beer was a partial boil, and was topped off with water, which would change the IBUs (bittering measurement) of the beer alot- sometimes by 1/2 if the boil was 2.5 gallons, as an example.

While partial boils can make great beers, it's almost impossible to make a firmly bitter IPA with a partial boil due to the way hops oils isomerize.

Here's the recipe:

Fermentables
0.5 lb Dry Malt Extract - Light
9 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Extra Light

Steeping Grains
1.25 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 15L
1 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 40L

Hops
1 oz Cascade Boil 70 min
1 oz Cascade Boil 55 min
0.5 oz Magnum Aroma 0 min
1 oz cascade Dry Hop
1 oz Columbus Dry Hop

I doubt the closet was too cold, but alas, I did not measure the temp. It was a very vigorous fermentation.

I agree with the fact that it seems there were not enough bittering hops, but the recipe on morebeer.com gets positive review after positive review.

Back