Too soon to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For obvious reasons, I'm hoping to have this beer ready to drink sooner rather than later. I brewed 5 gallons from extract. 6.30 lbs pilsen and 1 lb candy sugar. The yeast I used is something I harvested from a bottle of beer I liked a lot. I've kept the temperature at 80 degrees (I like esters).

The instructions advise 1-2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary. I don't rack to a secondary. I'm two weeks in primary and it's still bubbling away. I'll be bottling, not kegging. I'm getting ready to check the gravity and see where it's at.

In general, what are the consequences of bottling too soon?

If you're at final gravity, there is no problem bottling as soon as the beer is finished fermenting. The only issue is that if it's not yet clear, you'll have more trub in the bottles.

I can live with a bit of trub. At this point, I'm not looking for best beer, just good enough beer :) I am curious though, why it is still showing signs of activity. I'm not used to seeing bubbles in the air lock going into my 3rd week? Are some yeasts just slower at getting the job done?

Some do indeed ferment slower than others. What yeast was it? How much did you use? Did you make a starter? How soon after pitching did you see fermentation activity?

The potential problem from bottling too soon is over carbonation from additional fermentation in the bottle, which could potentially lead to bottles exploding. Given the way you word the question, I would advise waiting longer to bottle, though I doubt that will happen.

Yeah make absolutely sure fermentation is complete before priming/bottling. Check your gravity now and check it again tomorrow. If your gravity has dropped, give it another day until it stays stable. Bottle bombs are not only a huge mess, they can be super dangerous. Honestly though, what's the rush? Letting the beer sit on the yeast cake a few days post fermentation gives the yeasties a chance to clean up after themselves and re-metabolize certain off-flavor causing compounds

The consequences of bottling before you reach final gravity are exploding bottles. If you add the recommended amount of priming sugar then get additional fermentation from an unfinished beer you could get more co2 pressure than the bottle can contain.

Easy to find out. Take a gravity reading today and another one on Tuesday. If the reading are the same it is done and safe to bottle.

Bubbles could be fermentation, temperature change, atmospheric pressure change or even bumping the fermenter. It doesn't necessarily mean that any further fermentation is occurring.

When I read the title of the thread, my thought was if you have to ask, it's probably too soon. It's been said often on HBT and elsewhere that airlock activity is not a fermentation gauge. As kh54s10 pointed out, there can be other reasons for bubbles. But since your wording was "still bubbling away", I'm thinking it's probably still fermenting. I agree with the reco to take two gravity readings three days apart to see if gravity is stable. But I would wait a week first to see if airlock activity drops off - I don't like to open the fermenter any more than necessary.

The yeast pitch might be responsible for the sluggish fermentation. Maybe an under-pitch.

Some do indeed ferment slower than others. What yeast was it? How much did you use? Did you make a starter? How soon after pitching did you see fermentation activity?

I harvested it from a bottle. The label said the brewer harvested the yeast from a piece of 17th century furniture from France. I've used it before. It makes for a tart/farmhouse character. I did use a starter and it started fermenting within a day. I will say, when harvesting it and building starters, I noted that it's just a slow and steady workhorse. I guess I'm just gonna have to have more patience.

I agree with the reco to take two gravity readings three days apart to see if gravity is stable. But I would wait a week first to see if airlock activity drops off - I don't like to open the fermenter any more than necessary.

Yes. This sounds like the best advice. I'm running low on beer and was hoping this would be ready before I had to risk a trip to the beer store.

I would give it a day between gravity testing. Two if possible. If it's down toward the end of fermentation it might drop slower.

All the Best,
D. White

I harvested it from a bottle. The label said the brewer harvested the yeast from a piece of 17th century furniture from France. I've used it before. It makes for a tart/farmhouse character. I did use a starter and it started fermenting within a day. I will say, when harvesting it and building starters, I noted that it's just a slow and steady workhorse. I guess I'm just gonna have to have more patience.

This actually sounds super cool! But, it also sounds like there might be some wild yeast/bacteria in there. Consistent gravity a couple days apart might not mean much, unless it's 1.002 or below. You've used this before? Where did that beer finish? If wild yeast are present, then no gravity change over a month to 6- weeks might be necessary to determine if it's done.

Back