Too much yeast nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayzor

Reaction score
I was just making 1 gallon of apfelwine (cheap apple juice from the store with coopers yeast, a pound of sugar, and the zest from 2 limes), and I thought I'd add a little yeast nutrient to it.

I tried to sprinkle about a teaspoon of it straight from the package into the bucket, but a big lump of it accidentally fell in. On the label it says 1 teaspoon per gallon, but I think I've added at least a couple of tablespoons.

Is that too much?

The nutrients are diammonium phosphate and ammonium sulphate

No personal knowledge, but I would say no problem. The ammonium gets used by yeast to produce amino acids. Excess will probably just break down chemically. Caveat: I'm a biologist, not a chemist.

I did something very similar and found i produced a pretty strong sulfate / phosphate smell and flavor. It did age out and after a month or so was not noticeable at all. My understanding is that these chemicals are pretty unstable and will break down with time.

Back