Too much water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Action Jack

Reaction score
I tried a search and didn't see an answer to this. I brewed for the second time today and decided to undertake a Porter. I borrowed my buddies extract recipe using steeping grains but had to make a couple of substitutions due to what the homebrew store had in stock.

Everything was going along awesome, I was Johnny on spot with my sanitizing and with my times for everything. The problem arose when I was chilling my wort with my wort chiller. I topped off my pot to 5 gallons. I then put my bucket to the side and forgot to dump out the remaining water that was in the bucket which was about a quart.

I then started to aereate my wort by pouring back and forth from my pot to the bucket through a strainer to catch the hops. As I started pouring I realized there was still the quart of water in the bucket and I was now at a point of no return.

How much will this extra quart of water effect the finished product?

probably not by a noticeable amount. You will get a very small dilution of the flavors and alcohol percentage, but it will most certainly be beer, probably good beer at that.

Back