Too much water. Advice please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beyernk

Reaction score
Today I let complacency get the best of me. After doing an LME brew, partial boil. Cooled it down, dumped it into carboy and added remaining water, but I wasn't paying attention to my jugs. Ended up with a little over 5.5 gallons before I realized it. (5 gal was the target) Recipe calls for about a 1.040-1.043 OG, I took a reading and my mix was about 1.035. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

A lot of times the water and wort don't fully mix together and you get an off reading. That being said, the difference between 5 and 5.5 gallons is about 4 points of gravity at that OG. If your OG was supposed to be 1.04 and the actual OG is 1.035 then you're in the ballpark. From experience it's probably a little bit higher but still in the upper 1.03s. I'd leave it as is and ferment it out. You're going to have a 3.5-4% beer.

RDWHAHB

You've got a good session beer in the pipeline now. It is what it is, and I'm sure til be just dandy.

if you have some dry malt extract you can mix it with some hot water (so it will dissolve) and add that to your fermenter to bring the gravity back up to where it should be. With all that, I'd just let it ferment and enjoy it. I happen to drink beer for the flavor not to get drunk and often make a low alcohol beer.

Thanks for the info. I'll just let it ride. I also enjoy beer for the flavor and less for the alcohol part. Yes it is a perk, but if that's my goal for the evening I'll usually bring out the whisky. Maybe with it being a little on the lighter side my wife will enjoy it. She just recently started acquiring a taste for beer and has barley graduated away from course light. Thanks again for the advice, I figured it would either be ok, or a disaster. At Least now I can maintain a sense of optimism.

Back