Too much sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonicvalley

Reaction score
Is this possible?

I am waiting on a batch of EC-118. I pitched it on Dec 2 and SG was 1.15. All action stopped in the airlock about 3 weeks later. I checked gravity two weeks ago and it was 1.112. I was going for a batch of rocket fuel but I screwed up something i think... I re-pitched one week ago and have had no activity...

any ideas?

What were the ingredients and the amounts? What was the source of the apple juice? Did it contain sorbates or other "preservatives" (designed to prevent fermentation) ? At what temperature did you pitch the yeast and ferment the must? Did it really take 3 weeks to drop 3 points? Did you check your hydrometer using distilled water?

Looks like 40 point change and then a stall. It could be nutrients or lack there of especially if you are fermenting mostly sugar. Either dump in a few more packs of yeast or boil up some nutritional yeast and add it in.

What were the ingredients and the amounts? What was the source of the apple juice? Did it contain sorbates or other "preservatives" (designed to prevent fermentation) ? At what temperature did you pitch the yeast and ferment the must? Did it really take 3 weeks to drop 3 points? Did you check your hydrometer using distilled water?

-apple juice was from walmart (juice only, no other ingredients/preservatives). I have used it for other batches in the past with no ill effects...
-68 degree pitch and ferment
-hydrometer has been accurate with all other batches
-all hydrometer readings are accurate to the best of my ablility

Wow! Would this be a 19.91% ABV cider?!
Can yeast not gas out at that level?
EC-1118 is champ yeast but can It go that far?

with the calculator I was using (winecalc) it was supposed to be around 16-17%

I will go get more energizer and nutrient, and add that tomorrow and see what happens...

Latest posts

Back