Too much priming sugar???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggyz

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my second batch. But i think i made a little mistake on this one.

I added 6.6 ounces of priming corn sugar to 4.3 gallon of a California Pale Ale. The recipe calls for 4 ounces, so im a little worried. I bottled the beers already but i cant stop worrying about over carbonation or worse, bottle bombs.

My question is, is it alright to keep it bottled? I dont mind heavy carbonation, just gushers and exploding bottles. If not, what should i do? :confused:

Thanks in advance! :rockin:

Keep them at room temp until you have one that's perfectly carbed. Then try another. If they're good, put them all in the fridge. Usually 1oz per gallon is a decent benchmark btw.

That is a bit much. At the very least I would store them in plastic tubs (with lids) in a closet. If one blows, it will contain the shrapnel.

You have used at least twice as much priming sugar than I use.
I have only had one bottle bust and I think that was due to a weak bottle, getting to my point is having seen the one bottle that I have had go I am glad that I wasn't holding it.
Please think safe, put the bottles in buckets with lids and when pouring I suggest some decent gloves, and waterproof boots.

Thanks for the advice's guys!

Im planning on waiting a week (maybe sooner) to open them all up to release the gas then recapping them to let them continue for 2 more weeks. Hopefully that should suffice for the excess carbonation. If all else fail, carbonation drops i go haha.

please post back after you do the recapping, there is a chance that on taking the cap off they froth up and out of the bottle, be prepared, do it in the sink.

Its been about a week. I've opened all of the bottles and recapped them. To my surprise, only a few has over carbonated, but nothing serious. No gushers.

I opened the bottle and allowed them to sit for 2-3 minute to release most of the gas. The over carbonated ones with a head, i allowed to sit for 5 minutes, then once capped, i placed the over carbonated ones in the fridge.

Only 2 weeks before completion.

how did it turn out? i over carbonated mine by accident. opened one up on day 2 after bottling and had a gusher, i'm worried i might have some bombs seeing as how only on day 2 they are insanely carbonated. Did opening them up and re capping them help or did it ruin the beer and make them flat?

Back