Too much krausen lost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djbradle

Reaction score
I pitched the first step-up into a 2L starter from a 1L with WLP575. I'm thinking I lost quite a bit of yeast since last night. It had loosely covered foil on top of my dresser and when I checked this morning, thick yeast slurry were starting to solidify all over the sides and down the side of the dresser; maybe 2-3 tbls worth. I put it in the sink since then. This stuff is furious but has died down a bit.

image-413475285.jpg

That's happened to me as well - which is why I bought a 5L flask. If you have time, take a portion of the yeast from the flask and do another 1 liter starter (or a size that your comfortable will not blow over) - saving the rest in another sanitary container.

I had the same happen when I did the second step in a 2L flask. Perhaps we should just get a stir bar that will swing in an ale pail!!!

Well this is definitely a learning experience. I hope I don't lose too much yeast as a result. It's just oozing out and I swish it around to catch the krausen. I now realize how yeast rides the krausen and why people skim it for washing.

So fermcap stops that excess foaming?

Also make sure not to add more than 100g dme for every 1L and to make sure that the step finishes before stepping up. I use a couple drops fermcap also. Probably best to add it to the boil but I tend to not do that.:cross:

Also make sure not to add more than 100g dme for every 1L and to make sure that the step finishes before stepping up. I use a couple drops fermcap also. Probably best to add it to the boil but I tend to not do that.:cross:

gravity for my starter is usually 1.035 to 1.040. Do you add fermcap straight to the flask on the stirplate? Any issues/concerns since it's not boiled?

gravity for my starter is usually 1.035 to 1.040. Do you add fermcap straight to the flask on the stirplate? Any issues/concerns since it's not boiled?

3 drops after pitching yeast works for me every time! I just spray the fermcap bottle with starsan before I open it and that's it. I've done this more times than I can count...

No concerns yet, but knock on wood. ;) I have yet to have an infection in the last 8 batches after a long time away. I guess I would be a little more concerned int the warmer seasons. I just drop it into the kettle, the flask and the carboy/ bucket. It works like a champ. There are health concerns that people have with fermcap, but I haven't investigated just yet.

No concerns yet, but knock on wood. ;) I have yet to have an infection in the last 8 batches after a long time away. I guess I would be a little more concerned int the warmer seasons. I just drop it into the kettle, the flask and the carboy/ bucket. It works like a champ. There are health concerns that people have with fermcap, but I haven't investigated just yet.

Thzanks... wlp400 is going crazy... a little less then 1L in a 2L flask and the stuff keeps exploding out.

Back