Too much hops??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayroc

Reaction score
So I read over 'How to Brew' and I decided to put together a recipe with 'Beer Calculus' for my first all grain batch, I want it to be balanced and not to hoppy but I am not to sure I have this right.

5 gal batch

OG 1.072
FG 1.021
ABV 6.8%

My bill

8 lbs 2-row malt
2 lbs Rye malt
1 lbs Crystal 20L
1 lbs Crystal 60L
1 lbs Munich Malt
1 lbs Oats, Flaked

I estimate my Mash eff. at 70% for a first time

So to get a middle ground bitterness this is the hop additions I worked out

60 min 2 oz Liberty
45 min 2 oz Liberty
30 min 1 oz Liberty
15 min 1 oz Liberty
5 min 2 oz Liberty

It seems like a lot to me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Plugging that into Beersmith shows about 70 IBUs, which is pretty bitter, and with the heavy late addition should have a good bit of hop aroma as well. Seems like a high end IPA to me

That's odd Beer Calculus says 41.3 IBU,

I am defiantly not going for a IPA but I do want a lot of aroma

oh maybe its because I edited the AA to 3.0, that's what my LHBS marked it as

If you want a true measure of IBU for beer smith make sure your batch and boil volume are the same.

Beersmith has Liberty at 4.3 so decreasing that to 3.0 could decrease the IBUs quite a bit. Seems like it would be pretty hoppy to me, if you want just the aroma with out the bite I would suggest cutting out the 45 and 30 minute additions and maybe the 15

I'd replace the 60-30 min additions with a higher AA hop to get the desired bittering, 1 oz of Chinook at 60 will get you to the same bittering. Then use 1 oz of liberty at 10 and 1 oz at 0 mins. Then you can always dry hop with another oz or two of liberty. I'd also probably halve the amount of crystal malt.

hmm, well I picked Liberty for its flavor profile, not so much the AA. I double checked the LHBS website and its 3.0 there as well as on the package. I want a little bite, but not overpowering the malt. Perhaps I will take some out and get the IBU closer to 30

Oh, any suggestions for a name for this concoction?

That ia a lot of hops! Consider Epic pale ale (one of my favorites). It has very little at the beginning of the boil but high on hops at flame out and dry hop. I would say follow that mentality. 1oz bittering 1oz at 5 min, 2oz at flame out. 1oz dry hop 5 days, another 1 oz for 4 more days.

hmm, well I picked Liberty for its flavor profile, not so much the AA. I double checked the LHBS website and its 3.0 there as well as on the package. I want a little bite, but not overpowering the malt. Perhaps I will take some out and get the IBU closer to 30

Oh, any suggestions for a name for this concoction?
At 1.072 OG, it can handle the 40 IBUS, and then some.

As for a name, the hop additions reminded me of the band TSOL (True Sounds of Liberty)

At 1.072 OG, it can handle the 40 IBUS, and then some.

As for a name, the hop additions reminded me of the band TSOL (True Sounds of Liberty)

I had a feeling it may be a function of the amount of sugar you start and end up with, thanks for confirming that :)

That ia a lot of hops! Consider Epic pale ale

I will keep that in mind, but I think I will try it with less specialty grains maybe next batch :) thanks for the suggestion.

I would love more name suggestions, and any thoughts on the style. I changed the thread name to highlight that

Back