Too much head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scanloni

Reaction score
This is my first time kegging. My pale ale tastes great, and the frothy head is appealing to the nose and eye, but there's just a little too much of it. When I pour a pint, about half the glass is head/foam. I've been letting it settle then topping off. But I'd like to be able to pour a pint without having to let it settle and top off. I've got 5 ft of beer line with the co2 set at about 11.

The beer has been hooked up to the co2 for 8 days. Should I be a little more patient and see if the co2 balances out, leaving me with a perfect head? Or should I drop the co2 pressure? Or do I need a longer beer line?

Thanks!

I am no expert but following some advise here i put 10 foot lines on 2 weeks ago and get great pours every time.

image-1839090494.jpg

Me neither but here are plenty of articles which explains keg balancing, and also calculators to calculate line length (depending on temperature, pressure, tube ID..).
This is something what you really want to learn since all your hard work is in that glass :)

Search for "co2_and_keg_balancing_v1.1" in Google, it helped me with my system.

I'd go with 10' lines then work backwards. Let the beer tell you when it's right. Besides it always easier to shorten a line than lengthen it.

Cheers

Back