Too much grain, what do i do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteSkids

Reaction score
I went to the brew store and loaded up on what I thought was 11 lbs of grain for my next brew and found out after I put all the grains through the mill and bagged them together and got them home that I found I have a few extra pounds. Told the guy at the store his scale was busted and he said he has a new digital scale on the way. That's nice but now I have to figure out what to do about the grain. The three types of grain are already mixed together and I'm not sure if I can just alter my mash to compensate for the extra grain or should I just scoop out the extra and brew as normal?

What's your recipe? If it were me, I'd just throw it all in, see what I get out of the mash and adjust hops accordingly.

8lbs pale grain
2lbs amber grain
1lb brown grain
1oz of challenger, UK golding and fuggle

have an extra 1.5lbs of each grain

I like yer hop idea. I do have an extra oz of uk golding I could add

Looks tasty. So you could either have more volume of the same gravity, or same volume with higher gravity, or somewhere in between. Either way, keep those extra Goldings on standby and adjust your bittering as necessary. It'll be great.

You can lower your efficiency, sure, but you're also wasting the extra grain. Why not up the water and hops and have more beer (unless you don't have fermenter space for it?)?

Back