Too much foam from bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar_dog_1

Reaction score
Noob question here. I just opened a refrigerated for two days bottle of my english brown mild and poured in a glass. There was litterally no liquid. All foam it eventually settled out and tastes great. What would some causes of this be? I bottled 10 gallons and had this happen to few but no where near this extreme. The foam is thick. Like set a quarter n it thick. Any ideas?

View attachment 1426028137563.jpg

If it's not affecting all bottles, then it sounds like you didn't get the priming sugar evenly distributed prior to bottling. What is your procedure for adding and mixing priming sugar? Other possibility is that some of the bottles picked up infections, so had some additional unexpected fermentation going on in the bottles.

Brew on :mug:

Thats what I was thinking. But wouldnt an infected bottle taste different?

Fir priming, I boil reqd amount of dextrose in water and let cool for a few minutes. Then transfer that to bottling bucket then rack on top of that using my hose to cycle the beer in a circle. Then give a quick gentle stir with sanatized spoon.

Sounds like your priming procedure is good. I don't have enough experience with bottle infections (that I know of) to know just how bad or different they might taste.

Brew on :mug:

Its a very common bottle conditioning problem. It either means too much (or uneven) bottling sugar or fermentation didnt fully complete until the beer made it into the bottle. My current rule of thumb for bottling sugar is .92 oz per gallon.

My last Brown Ale did the same thing. I figured it was due to it not completing fermenting before bottling. My hydrometer broke. I opened them and recapped after a few seconds and it got better.

I primaryed it for 4 weeks at 65. Oh well. I will try to ensure I mix a little more when bottling. Thanks all for the replies!

Latest posts

Back