Too much chocolate taste covered vanilla flavour in my Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles_1111

Reaction score
I tried to brew a 10L ( 2.5 Gallon ) batch vanilla stout by soaking one 16cm length Madagascar vanilla bean in 100ml vodka for a week before adding the extract solution in the wort 5 days before bottling. Of course I cut open the vanilla bean and let the seeds to be exposed and chopped the whole bean into 5 small sections, then putted them into vodka.

I was expecting a quite obvious vanilla taste in the beer, however, after 3 weeks in the bottle it turned out to be almost none vanilla taste but quite noticeable chocoloate flavour. Since I used 2.7% chocolate malt, 2.7% of pale chocolate malt, 6.7% black roaster barley and 5.35 special B, I guess the strong chocoloate flavour covered the vanilla taste? If so, what should be a reasonbale recipe for a vanilla stout? Thank you.

I've upped my vanilla beans to four . I brew 5 gallons so you may want to go 2 to 3 beans . One week of soaking isn't a whole lot either .

I'd suggest soaking the vanilla beans in either Everclear (higher extraction rate) or Overproof rum (same, but with added flavor that complements the style). Soak a few weeks before you start your brew, or a few hours in a sous-vide setup (this is awesome).

Also, make sure you scrape the beans so the seeds can flow around freely.

To get the most out of your vanilla beans, you have to give em time. Mine go for a minimum of 3 months.

Or make a tincture in Everclear or high proof rum/vodka. The higher the percentage, the higher the extraction. Just don't use the fibrous part of the bean in a high alcohol tincture, it gives it an unpleasant woody taste.

Choc malt , cocoa nibs , choc extract

we looking at the same recipe? looks like i'd imagine the roast barley made it taste to roasty for the vanilla. i'd do it oposite for the subtle vannila to come out and up the malted grains, for sweetness. with the special B it looks like it'd be good, but with all that roast barley i think it'd be a little rough for the vannila to shine?

we looking at the same recipe? looks like i'd imagine the roast barley made it taste to roasty for the vanilla. i'd do it oposite for the subtle vannila to come out and up the malted grains, for sweetness. with the special B it looks like it'd be good, but with all that roast barley i think it'd be a little rough for the vannila to shine?

Lmbo 🤣. Sorry guys I thought I was on a different thread .....but to answer your question bracconiere, no , were not looking at the same recipe lol......carry on

Back