Too Malty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpayson

Reaction score
My last 3 batches have tasted way too malty, and frankly, not good. Not sure where the problem is. I’m using extract kits from northern brewer and some of them I’ve made before with no issues. Doesn’t matter if I ferment in a bucket or glass - I get the same malt-dominant flavor. And I can taste it before bottling - so I know it’s either the boil or fermentation. Any ideas what will cause this? I used dry yeast in all, and definitely fermenting at higher temps than i would like(75-77), though that’s the same as I’ve ever been able to ferment at. Same result with 2 IPA’s and a chocolate milk stout. The last IPA was dry hopped even and all i can taste is malt. Would like to get another batch going but definitely not if it’s going to taste like this again. Any thoughts?

Are you sure it's malty? Exctract brews has never struck me as malty the way AG brews does.

Does it taste like clean bread, biscuits etc?

Three questions:
1. Do you rehydrate your dry yeast prior to pitching? http://howtobrew.com/book/section-1/yeast/yeast-forms
2. What is your final gravity at? Is it at or close to the recipe?
3. Had anyone else tasted your beers and had similar thoughts?

1- funny, I used to always rehydrate, but I don’t think I have with any of these 3. You think it’s stalling out?
2-FG has been a little off and ABV has come in 1-1.5% lower than expected each time
3-yeah - my wife says the same thing about the flavor

Definitely malty - does my taste like bread at all. Very sweet and can’t taste the hops hardly at all.

It sounds more like oxidization due to old or poorly stored malt extract, or your process. Sweet is not malty.

Hadn’t heard of that - I’ll do some research. Would love to get the temp down a bit
This is my simple set up for warming or cooling. Temperature is controlled by a DIY STC-1000 for heating and cooling. The water bath and fan is for cooling. I'll have a wet towel over the fermentor when I need additional cooling. I have an aquarium heater in the water bath to heat when needed. MY brew room is 66°F during the summer and 68°F during the heating season.
707resized.jpg

Twang. Stale extract. Only use the freshest extract, else start moving towards partial mash or all-grain.
^ this right here. Seems especially so with old liquid malt extract. Switching to DME may help some, fresher extract will definitely help. Try adding only half of your extract at the beginning of the boil and add the rest in the last 10-15 minutes. Turn the burner off when you add it. Cheers!

Have had this problem in the past with near expiry LME in the past with two batches.

I've switched to make sure the LME I use is always well within expiry (many brands don't include a production date just an expiry sadly) or the canned as this limits exposure to oxygen compared to some LHBS and online HBS who repackage it into different sizes. Otherwise it's DME for me.

A 7gal fermenting bucket (4$ from a hardware store) will fit most 5-6gal carboys easily. I do this for batches I know will be having their krausen pour out the top or for the hot days of summer.

Back