Too Low Of Temperature for Danstar Windsor Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChilledPint

Reaction score
Hi all,

I brewed a small batch (1 gallon) of Northern Brewer's Caribou Slobber yesterday. With a wet shirt around the carboy was fermenting at about the top of the range (68-70 degrees) for the yeast. My Air Conditioner broke today, so I had to improve the t-shirt/swamp cooler efficiency a bit. I grabbed a small party bucket, and put the t-shirt wrapped carboy in a couple of cups of ice and a little water (not very much). It worked a bit too well and got it down to about 54 degrees. Do I have to worry about the yeast going dormant at this point, and if so is there way to revive it while it's still fermenting. It's Danstar's Windsor yeast.

Thanks in advance.

Just let it warm back up to where you want to ferment at and dont worry about it, its only 1G. Relax and brew another.

I don't know about the yeast, but you will want to age that particular beer for a couple months. I've brewed it a couple times before and it's not so great after it initially carbs. After two or three months it is amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back