Too long in Star San?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc03

Reaction score
Another newbie question from me. Two and a half weeks ago I bottled my first brew. Knowing I would be ready for round two this weekend after sanitizing my equipment I left the Star San in the bottling bucket along with the equipment. This morning I noticed the water was hazy and there was a chalky colored film on everything. I brushed everything off and set it to dry. There is still some film on the inside of the auto siphon and bottling wand tubing. Is this a concern?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I know tap water will turn star san cloudy over time which is why I use distilled in my spray bottles. As for the chalky residue, just as with the foam, I don't beleive it to be a problem. If in doubt, I suppose you could rinse if off with fresh water and do again but I think you should be ok.

It's a discoloration in/on plastic tubing & the like if left too long in the Starsan. You only need to sanitize for 30 seconds or so for it to be effective.

My auto siphon is permanently that color now from that and I haven't had a problem I just sanitize like normal and go in with it and haven't had an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's because it's not a film,but a surface discoloration by the acid sanitizer. It goes from clear to milky when soaked too long. Kinda like etching.

Mine's a film. I was able to brush it off the outside of the tubing but don't have a small enough brush to get the inside.

I bought a 66" long,3/8" keg line cleaning brush. But it seems the ID of various brands of tubing isn't too standardized. Some are too tight to get the brush through. So I clean,rinse & sanitize asap after use.

Latest posts

Back